Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-11-2008 , 01:17 AM

Why is this file so big?

Hi. I'm modelling a house in maya. suddenly i notce that my file size went from about 300 KB to 4.3Mb.

I've narrowed it down to a swirl shape i made.

The shape was made by making one single revolution and then simply duplicating it many times. then i selected all the revolutions, combined them. and smoothed them.

Now these two swirls are taking up 4.2mb by themselves. and i have to duplicate them 3 more times so there'll be 8 swirls in total.

is there anything i can do to reduce the size of them without making a simpler version?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-11-2008 , 01:19 AM
closup pic of polygon

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 10-11-2008 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
To be fair, 4.3 mb is hardly a horrific file size, and as long as your only doing a few more i don't really see the problem.

If your that worried bout them, then delete some of the edge loops makin up the shape and se how much you can get away with before they start changing shape.

Chris

# 4 10-11-2008 , 03:31 AM
thing is i never created most of those edges. i had a very angular one, adn then duplicated it and they didn't match up perfect with eachother. but then i hit Smooth and they looked good enough.

so will it slow it down a lot?

# 5 10-11-2008 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by rudeboymcc
thing is i never created most of those edges

you mean someone else came along and did it for you?
things don't appear unless you tell it to appear :p

it may or may not slow down your computer, the objects are way too dense for something so small and thin.

also, when you post a wireframe you should turn it to shaded mode (hit 5) and then click "wireframe on shaded" (somewhere in the view panel's menu)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D