Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-09-2008 , 01:59 AM

Getting a new laptop,whats good ?

So I graduated yesterday,I'm moving to Hawaii when I'm there I'll be everywhere
(moving around while be build a house) thus I need a laptop but I hate it that the power to money ratio is much less than a desktop.
I am basically have been offered by my parents that I can get a new computer for two reasons,one I graduated right after my 16 Bday and two I have bad vision,it's not fully correctable(2400/20,20/40-60 with glasses) and I need a big screen(even more expensive).
Anyhow I'm curious if dell is a good brand since my laptop that 2 years old is doing great from them and my 5 years old desktop is still running although it's now linux...
If the brand has crapped out during 2 years I guess I'd like some suggestions since it has to be $1000 or less with a 20 inch screen(or so) with enough power to run maya better than my 1.6 GHz Core Dou with 1 gig of ram and a integrated graphics card. I'd wait for the house to be built but they emphasized that the offer of a new computer won't be around for ever.....

# 2 11-09-2008 , 02:30 AM
Not too sure on your specs and price, But every dell laptop that i've been in contact with (top of the line ones) have been solid as a rock.

I've got (and am using at the moment a Dell XPS M1710 thats 2 years old) and its so so, solid.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 11-09-2008 , 02:59 AM
Okay cool user added image
Makes me feel better about dell...

# 4 11-09-2008 , 01:56 PM
A 20-inch screen, needs to be more powerful than a Core Duo for under $1000.

Are 20-inch screen laptops not rather expensive?

As for being more powerful than Core Duo, I think most Core 2 Duos would be more powerful...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 12-09-2008 , 03:17 PM
There aren't many 20" laptops around unfortunatly.
I would go for a 17" if i were you, since there are a lot of them and some have great specs for a laptop.

If you need something really powerfull, take a look at the Alienware laptops.
They are a bit expensive though, but they are really the best.

Good luck!

# 6 13-09-2008 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
yeah you can go for dell and wait 3 weeks for them only to find that they haven't even started building it...

one thing to remember when buying a laptop is that you can't upgrade any of the parts other than RAM

also their depreciate at 50%pa

i would suggest actually going out to look at laptops, because then you can see how glossy the screen is. hawaii sounds like a sunny place so you dont want a glossy screen or you'll never be able to see anything....ever... ok you will, but only when you're inside and it's dark out...

for a $US1000 you should be able to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card and a good 4gb ram or so...

you graduate when you're 16? what do you graduate from?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 13-09-2008 , 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
yeah you can go for dell and wait 3 weeks for them only to find that they haven't even started building it...

one thing to remember when buying a laptop is that you can't upgrade any of the parts other than RAM

also their depreciate at 50%pa

i would suggest actually going out to look at laptops, because then you can see how glossy the screen is. hawaii sounds like a sunny place so you dont want a glossy screen or you'll never be able to see anything....ever... ok you will, but only when you're inside and it's dark out...

I've got to disagree on the first point with Dell, I ordered my laptop they said it would be 3 weeks, I had it within 2 weeks, also when we order them with work we've never had a late delivery, they always have been early, same with friends that have ordered them, might just that we've been lucky...

Also with the glossy screens I've never really had a problem with mine, yes sometimes if its really really sunny and the suns at the back of me I might get a bit of glare but its not like its unuseable, then again thery vary form manufacturere to manufacturer.

# 8 13-09-2008 , 12:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
I've got to disagree on the first point with Dell, I ordered my laptop they said it would be 3 weeks, I had it within 2 weeks, also when we order them with work we've never had a late delivery, they always have been early, same with friends that have ordered them, might just that we've been lucky...

Also with the glossy screens I've never really had a problem with mine, yes sometimes if its really really sunny and the suns at the back of me I might get a bit of glare but its not like its unuseable, then again thery vary form manufacturere to manufacturer.

well... what i said about dell isn't obviously always the case, but it was mega-delayed for the people i know who ordered from them

so based on what you said, and what they have experience, i suppose if you need one reasonably fast it's better to go to a secret shop or retail shop and buy one

also, the sun is in front of me, for me, so i suppose that might increase the reflections and glare by a lot...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 9 13-09-2008 , 01:33 PM
Would the screen then not be in shadow and dark, thus with no glare or refelction from the screen?

Anywho, I dont seem to have a problem with it at all, shrug, could be the screen that you have.

# 10 13-09-2008 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
extra glossy just for me... it reflects bounce light better than a mirroe when the light source is bright enough. it renders real time global illumination... fun for the whole family

you would think it would be self shadowed, but nothing escape the sun unless it's buried beneath things...

# 11 13-09-2008 , 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
you would think it would be self shadowed, but nothing escape the sun unless it's buried beneath things...

So it gets the same lighting level regardless of if it forms a shadow on itself? Of course its not going to be black, but the level of light would be less in a shadow.

Sounds like the screen you've gots quite some thing..

Anywho thats bye the bye.

# 12 13-09-2008 , 09:10 PM
I am/was home schooled so I wanted to get onto college so I took the GED and got a pretty good score for my age.
So onto community college then the university user added image
Your right though,I hate the fact that laptops are not upgradable while desktops are ultra easy to upgrade..
I saw a few refurbished laptops that fit the bill,my laptop I use right now is refurbished from Dell and is on it's second year of use.