Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-03-2008 , 08:43 PM

Video Tutorial Challange (2/3D Web Graphics)

I would like to challange any Professional Maya user whom has made many video tutorials to make a free video tutorial on using Maya as your source for creating stunning 2d/3d graphics for websites. Animations, gifs etc. are welcome but should not be the main focus. The main focus on this tutorial should be:

1.) Creating All images in Maya including background, foreground, sidebar, letters, text, Logos, banners, boarders etc.
2.) Every aspect of Maya that can be used on a website should be used.
3.) Demonstrate how to set up Maya solely for this purpose, setup grids, suggested view settings etc.
4.) How to save, edit, import, export images and best formats to use.
5.) Photoshop minutes such as splices, image enhancements etc, is welcome.
6.) Please Post a download link to a zipped file of the final tutorial.
7.) Use Dreamweaver for page layout, template creations etc.
8.) The video must be high quality, Full screen capture with superb mic audio recordings. Please don't skimp out on quality to save space or bandwidth. Split the Video tutorial into sections if you have too. Use a great screen capturing utility such as Snagit or any other.

*important* the video must be able to be displayed at 1080 X 768 Full Screen "without" any noticeable video degration. All Menu's icons , on screen text etc. must be crisp and sharp.

Last thing. This is not a challenge to see who can create the most stunning graphics, although this is welcomed too. But emphasis should be placed on (How to setup and use Maya) for the sole purpose of creating 2D/3D images for all facets of the website design process, background images, border images, sidebar separator images, banners, buttons, menus etc.

Or a full blown graphical website with java rollover and the like.

Last edited by vynum; 02-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
# 2 02-03-2008 , 08:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
and all for free?

Wow, that Maya professional must be rich with lots of free time and bandwidth.

user added image Just joshing with ya. Good luck!

# 3 03-03-2008 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber
im a little short on time myself atm too!!

anyway, that stuff is best served using a number of different apps.., no-one would use maya for all that in a production situation.., its a time waster (not maya, but using solely maya)

this is MHO.., i might be wrong on that (but i dont think so)

'Every aspect of Maya that can be used on a website should be used'

why?? (just to pick on one question but i could pick on them all) its not made for web making?? thats what dreamweaver ect is for.

as an intellectual exercise.., it would be interesting but in a practicle sense.., totally useless.

are you teaching maya?? if so, you need to know maya is simply for making elements to use with other apps..,like after effects and then importing that into dreamweaver (usually via flash)

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 03-03-2008 , 01:01 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by mirek03
are you teaching maya??

Nope! He just wants us to teach him Maya! user added image

Seriously!.... No 'Professional' Maya user would do all this for free!

If you want to learn how to create a Website theres ton of tutorials online, and you don't even need to learn Maya to do it. PhotoShop and DreamWeaver is all you need user added image

Good luck!!!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 03-03-2008 , 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Mayaniac
PhotoShop and DreamWeaver is all you need user added image

[/B]

Bah!! Dreamweaver, notepad's what you want!!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 03-03-2008 , 02:28 AM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, I just use notepad for my site.

# 7 03-03-2008 , 02:35 AM
vi/vim for the hardcore developers user added image

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 8 03-03-2008 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
err, im a dreamveaver .., flash sort of guy user added image note pad.., ??? show offs user added image

# 9 03-03-2008 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
alexanderH

as a 'Decent Maya User'.., surely you already know the answer to that???

its FUN and it makes one think.., its acting on ones skills.., and then creating.., if thats not your bag, or you are above that..., well i can then understand your attitude, but don't confuse the word 'challenge' with the word 'confrontation.'

as i said, its all in the name of fun.., mixed with doing one's best.

peace bro user added image

LOL user added image

# 10 03-03-2008 , 03:30 PM
Jr.Who
I think we should volunteer someone from SM to do it. I nominate Steve! :p

# 11 03-03-2008 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mirek03
alexanderH

as a 'Decent Maya User'.., surely you already know the answer to that???

its FUN and it makes one think.., its acting on ones skills.., and then creating.., if thats not your bag, or you are above that..., well i can then understand your attitude, but don't confuse the word 'challenge' with the word 'confrontation.'

as i said, its all in the name of fun.., mixed with doing one's best.

peace bro user added image

LOL user added image

I'd like to apologize for my previous post. It was a little uncalled for and rather unnecessary.

I didn't mean to sound cheesed, or above it.
instead I should be supporting challenges!

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”

Last edited by alexanderH; 03-03-2008 at 07:16 PM.
# 12 04-03-2008 , 03:25 AM
Thanks for responding guys. Well, I didn't mean to make it sound such like a big project.

Actually what I'm asking is pretty simple. It could all be done by a simple cube.

I know Maya pretty well and still learning. But I never used it to create awesome looking graphics for websites. However, I have seen it done and it looks great.

All I really need to know is, in maya, how would you setup a 2d grid to conform with the dimensions of a 1040 X 768 website or even 800 X 600 would do. Place a cube on it stretch it a bit, place a simple texture on it, then render it, save or export it as an image. I'm talking about fundamentals only. As far as modeling I can take care of that.

Could someone take a brief moment and create a simple, video on the steps that could be taken to acheive this.

Again, I'm not asking "how to make a website" or " how to use dreamweaver" or " how to model".

I'm talking about how to setup Maya for the sole purpose of rendering a final "image". Transparent in some cases, while other cases having a background texture or image.

My goal is to master this so I can design awsome, graphical website GUI's.

# 13 04-03-2008 , 03:46 AM
are you sure you aren't referring to 3d flash stuff created in swift 3D and other plug-in programs?

Accept no substitutions.
# 14 04-03-2008 , 06:21 AM
You don't need a full tutorial for this. The best way you could use Maya in a web context is to combine it with Flash/Actionscripting. Storyboard how you want your site to work and use Maya to support it. For example, maybe you created a little character in maya to be used as your mascot. You could create several short animations with it then in flash, you could script it so when you click a nav link, it loads the animation, plays it, then unloads as the new section loads. There are alot of things you can do. Set up? render out at the same size of your flash movie or whatever you need it to be.

If you're talking about using Maya for making swirling logos animated gifs and whatnot on a site...that's just kind of overkill and very...1995. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 15 04-03-2008 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber
yea, your in the wrong program.., reminds me of a story i heard the other day of a guy who was obsessed with making a number of cogs turn by rotating just one of them.., he would only know the reason why.., its simple to do but apparently he became obsessed.., the point is.., it is a totally useless exersice.., and what you are asking is very.., left field and has little to do with maya

im thinking you want to replace the 'cube' with graphics.

making a cube as you know is not the same as making text.., or importing from illustartor.

you need to study the render globals.., get the camera resolution right for what you want.., 800x600.., ect

its the render globals you need to understand.

Mike has a free tut on this site about it.., i can tell you with out any bad feelings (forgot the word) .., no-one here will make a vid for you of that for free. your 'simple' request would take hours.,,and all here are short on time (that i can tell you for free).

alexanderH.., i hear that.., no problem user added image