Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-04-2011 , 04:10 PM

New to maya need some advice

user added imageHi all,

I'm new to maya and love the software. I need some advice on putting together a system that I can use for film and CG work. I have Maya and Mudbox as well as Adobe Premier, Production Premium. I am currently using all on an old laptop and my laptops performance is stressed running maya. I'm not going to be doing professional work, just for fun and to express my artistic ablities.

What I would like to know is what would be an ideal computer system to run maya as a home user, bearing in mind I'm not a millionare. Your advice is apreciated.

# 2 04-04-2011 , 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

...What I would like to know is what would be an ideal computer system to run maya as a home user, bearing in mind I'm not a millionare....

That would be difficult to answer as you never said what kind of budget you're working with.

- Genny
# 3 04-04-2011 , 06:28 PM
No more than $1,000.00.

I'm probably going to get an amd quad 4 processor, but was wondering if 4gig of ram was going to be enough or should I go for 8gig. Also what would be the best video card as far as funtionality with maya?

# 4 04-04-2011 , 06:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you can afford 8GB, go for it, but 4GB should be sufficient for most people new to maya. As for video card, do a search "video card" in the search box at the top right... lots of threads regarding this.

# 5 14-04-2011 , 07:20 PM
From what I can tell in the video card department you should be looking ant the most expensive video card you can afford.

I have an ATI card but everyone I know says you need a CUDA enabled nvidia card. Maya 64 bit doesn't use CUDA directly but will and many other programs too. If you look up CUDA in the Wikipedia you can see all of the nvidia models that support this graphics card supported rendering system-thingamabob. Try to get the highest CUDA card on the list within your budget.

Some people are running monster machines with 24gigs of ram so the more the better.