Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-01-2004 , 04:39 PM

My render stucks

Hmm... im rather new at this maya thing but i do a lot of max

Well the problem is when i do a batch for my testmovie it stucks and i have no idea why. (its just a box moving so i could test how to render in Maya.) Im running Maya 5.0 unlimted. This testmovie is a product of one of your tutorial movies so i dont understand why it wont work. user added image

Here is the history of what happend.. with the creating of the box to render / where it stucks..

CreatePolygonCube;
polyCube -w 1 -h 1 -d 1 -sx 1 -sy 1 -sz 1 -ax 0 1 0 -tx 1 -ch 1;
// Result: pCube1 polyCube1 //
select -addFirst polyCube1 ;
setAttr "polyCube1.width" 2;
setAttr "polyCube1.height" 5;
setAttr "polyCube1.depth" 50;
currentTime 30 ;
move -r 10.226027 0 0 ;
setKeyframe -breakdown 0 pCube1.translate;
// Result: 3 //
setKeyframe -breakdown 0 -hierarchy none -controlPoints 0 -shape 0 {"polyCube1", "pCube1"};
// Result: 19 //
move -r -28.593037 0 0 ;
currentTime 61 ;
currentTime 60 ;
move -r -24.105933 0 0 ;
setKeyframe -breakdown 0 -hierarchy none -controlPoints 0 -shape 0 {"polyCube1", "pCube1"};
playbackOptions -min 1 -max 60 ;
currentTime 1 ;
move -r -12.160828 0 0 ;
// Press the ESC key to stop playback
currentTime 3 ;
move -r -0.130988 0 0 ;
move -r 0 0 0 ;
displaySmoothness -divisionsU 3 -divisionsV 3 -pointsWire 16 -pointsShaded 4;
subdivDisplaySmoothness -smoothness 3;
setAttr "defaultRenderGlobals.endFrame" 60;
setAttr "defaultRenderGlobals.extensionPadding" 2;
setAttr "defaultRenderQuality.enableRaytracing" 1;
setAttr "defaultRenderQuality.enableRaytracing" 0;
move -r -0.00520535 0 0 ;
// Result: saving temporary file C:/Documents and Settings/Lasse/My Documents/maya/projects/default/scenes//box__444.mb
//
// Result: Rendering with Maya Software... //

The problem is the last line... it just stucks there.. some said give it time, it has been standing there for 30 mins now.
user added image user added image

Hope you can help me.

Yours truely
Lasse

# 2 04-01-2004 , 05:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
well, I've known renders that have taken hours per frame, so without knowing exactly what you are rendering it's hard for me to say that anything's wrong.

# 3 04-01-2004 , 05:42 PM
Its a simple box without details.

My hardware is :

2600xp +
512 ddr-ram
and geeforce 4 TI.

My processer works 100% for like 2 mins then stops.. then there happens nothing. Kindof annoying.

Anywhere i can download another good render to try if its the problem.

# 4 05-01-2004 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
this might be off.. but I have problems with maya hanging or just shutting down for no reson when rendering with the maya software render.. There IS a memory leak with the maya software render in 5.0 try the MentalRay render and or download the 5.01 fix. if you have the 5.01 fix.. I'm sorry don't have any ideas after that at the moment.

# 5 05-01-2004 , 03:25 AM
Maya requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM just to work properly. While I doubt it's the main problem, it could be part of it.

Mmm. Have you created and are you setting a project? You might want to create a project for the scene, then set it to that project. That way Maya knows where to put stuff. It may be trying to put / look for things that arent there. Just a thought.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 05-01-2004 , 03:35 AM
The Maya Mountain
I wouldn't think 512 mb of Ram would be a problem. I know I've worked with Maya with less before. Wasn't very fast, sure, but it worked.

# 7 22-01-2004 , 05:14 PM
I was also a Max user back in the day, and was surprised at the render time. My solutions were to render as targas, never avi, and render from the command line for movies after you close Maya - it flies this way.
A cool trick, to see a pretty high res of a short animation (if you are patient) is to ipr each frame, and save each image out. You can do 100 frames in about 15 minutes, composite, and you are happy. Mental Ray is also much faster than software rendering.
Also link lights only where needed, and don't waste depth, or ray on what you don't need. In all actuality, Maya is a much better renderer, just takes tweaking, which in turn teaches you more about what is really going on, instead of just pressing a button - whewuser added image

Lungs not guns....