Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-04-2007 , 10:58 AM
icewindfiresnow

How do you render and save an animation?

i can play the animation back on screen but cant render an entire animation scene or save it as an AVI file or Mpeg.. Any help i would greatly appreciate. Thanks so muchuser added image

# 2 01-04-2007 , 11:34 AM
I think you were closer to the answer than you realize. In this "Maya Basics & Newbie Forum", there is a thread "HOW DO I RENDER A MOVIE" by mtmckinley (at the top). I believe he explains how.

After you have your animation rendered and saved, you'll need to use another program to convert the frames into a video file. ckyuk mentions in the thread a program called videomach for that purpose. Just read through the whole thread.

Last edited by Perfecto; 01-04-2007 at 11:39 AM.
# 3 01-04-2007 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
Mikes got a couple of free tuts (vid) there too that demonstrate rendering amongst other things.., download them all, it cant hurt and they are free

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 05-04-2007 , 06:49 AM
don't render to an AVI, render to images and stick them together.

# 5 05-04-2007 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
stick them together??? user added image now im wondering what the correct word is.., render??.., no.., composite.., no?.., uuummm????

# 6 05-04-2007 , 08:45 AM
glue, adhere?

stick them together in some other expensive program like adobe somethingorother user added image

# 7 05-04-2007 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
LOL user added image sounds about right

# 8 05-04-2007 , 11:22 AM
Ive downloaded and watched the Rendering an animation tutorial, but what confuses me is that I have 8.5 and I dont konw how to get to Render Globals, its not in Window-Rendering Editors- Render GLobals, and i just cant find it! I really need help...

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 9 05-04-2007 , 12:07 PM
Kinddoggofwar: In Maya 8.5 it's no longer refered to as Render Globals. Instead it's refered to as Render Settings.

Windows > Rendering Editors > Render Settings

or you can use the shortcut (see attached image)

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 05-04-2007 , 12:18 PM
.....Why do they not tell you this in the help section! well, thanks alot, that makes things easier.

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 11 05-04-2007 , 12:56 PM
Actually it does, that's how I learned it. I understand your comment though because the "Help" is not always so helpful (chuckles).

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 12 05-04-2007 , 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Perfecto
...because the "Help" is not always so helpful (chuckles).

Self-generated false advertising! :lmao:

# 13 05-04-2007 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
mike renders to targa because After effects 6.5 and under wouldn't see the Maya native 'iff' files unless you force it by selecting 'all files' on import and checking the 'image sequence' bow.., after effects 7 can see native Maya files. Targas are huge compared to the native maya files and I see no extra quality.., targa take longer too. this is all got to do with the version mike was using, things have moved on a little since then, though having said that he probably still uses them for quality.., anyway these days you have a more of a choice.., as mentioned AVIs seem to always get a bum rap but I have never tried them. i stick with the 'iff' files.

what Im saying is if you have AE 7 (formerly referred to as 'adobesomethinginorotherincreibleexpensive) you can stick with 'iff' with no problem, and if you have below that you can force them by selecting 'all files' on import to AE from maya

may the shwartz be with you...