Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 02-03-2004 , 05:45 AM
wings are giving me some grief. Similar to the troubles I had with the ear membranes.

I am going to extend the digits of the fingers to make a larger wing as well.

I am thinking of making the first wing segment (from the body to the elbo) using curves drawn on the wing image plane and building a nurbs boundry surface.

To tired to go on tonight, I'll pick it up fresh tomorrow.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 62 02-03-2004 , 09:09 AM
Day 4:

- added wing membrane

Kurt, I was struggling with trying to align a planer object on the tilted plane of the wing.

I wish there was a way to create a local coordinate system so you could align things with a non-orthagonal plane? Maybe there is and I am to much of a newb to know. Anyone know?

So I used a different approach to the entire wing skin process. Here is what I did:

1. I made the wing reference plane live.
2. I created 4 cv curves bounding the section of the wing from the body to the inside finger.
3. I create a nurbs boundry surface using the 4 curves.
4. I create 2 more boundry curves and used the edge of the first boundry surface to get 3 curves that I used to form the second section of the wing using a 3 side nurbs boundry surface.
5. I create 2 more boundry curves and the edge of the last curve to make another 3 sided boundry surface for the last section of the wing.
6. Attach the 3 nurbs surfaces and convert nurb to poly and vola and you have a single clean poly section for the entire wing.

To do:

- attach arm to body
- add claws
- add arm details

NOTE:

Trying to move things around and align in 3-space when they are not aligned to an orthagonal plane is a major pain! Maya needs some way to get a local coordinate system of some short. Translation is livable but trying to deal with rotation is a bloody nightmare!

Attached Thumbnails
# 63 02-03-2004 , 01:08 PM
Day 4:

- attached arms
- added claws
- minor details to arms, shoulders, chest

Body Complete!

The body is pretty much complete. I still need to do some clean up and detailing.

Although I am not 100% happy with the proportions I learned a great deal from this tutorial.

I have a long way to go. Especially when it comes to adding muscle details and folds and creases.

Here is the completed model - 640 res is really to small to make out much detail though.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 01:24 PM.
# 64 02-03-2004 , 02:57 PM
That looks great! I am going to try this tutorial soon. If you double click on the move icon, a panel opens to where you can change from world axis, to object axis, to normal axis, etc... - very powerful. I think this is waht you were looking for, and will kick yourself for it's ease of use in the scenarios you were describing user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 65 02-03-2004 , 03:00 PM
If you convert to subs jspogg, you can then attch the smooth head to the body using the proxy method for less vertexes at level zero.

Lungs not guns....
# 66 03-03-2004 , 01:48 AM
Yikes! Double clicking on the move icon was exactly what I was looking for when I was trying to move things along the plane of the wing.

Thanks! Will come in handy on the next project.

As for this one, the proportions of the body and legs and head and neck are off. Trying to adjust them in a finished model is going to be to hard. I'll redo this entire model at some point and get the proportions better.

I need to work on reducing the geometry in my base models and adding muscle, bone and crease details. The model is to featureless.

QUESTION:

Triangles and N-Poly's - I obsessed about triangles and n-polys and as a result I sometimes added 50+ polygons to add one more edge to make the triangle a quad.

Aside from the lame mental ray bug of not being able to render anything but quads (which made rendering subd's all but impossible) is there another real reason that triangles are bad?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I learned a lot from this project.

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 09:40 AM.
# 67 03-03-2004 , 02:57 AM
Day 4 (addition):

- pulled out the rib, chest and stomach details

Little changes can make a big improvement!

To Do:

- pull out shoulder, tricep, bicep and forearm muscles.
- pull the front of the thigh forward and add a little more mass
- tweak the tail
- define the pectoral muscles
- define abdominal muscles
- clean and refine mesh

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 01:27 PM.
# 68 03-03-2004 , 03:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking good, buddy. :tup:

# 69 03-03-2004 , 09:04 AM
Thanks Mike!

I am enjoying this and learning big time!

# 70 03-03-2004 , 09:05 AM
Day 5:

- added chest and abdominal muscle detail using shape objects.

Here is a photo of the objects...

Attached Thumbnails
# 71 03-03-2004 , 09:07 AM
Day 5 (cont):

After combining the shape objects using polygon>bolean>union and cleaning up the mesh...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 09:10 AM.
# 72 03-03-2004 , 09:08 AM
a differant angle...

I did some adjustments and I am happier with the proportions of the legs/body/head.

A little shoulder and arm detail and I think this model is pretty much done.

-- addition: I might add scaled plates down the neck to the collar bone (top of the chest area).

What do you think Kurt?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 01:29 PM.
# 73 03-03-2004 , 09:13 AM
Yup looking wery good, I am whant too ask you abouth this tutorial you hawe purchased, did you downloaded it or SM mail it too you??? and will you learn to make textur and shader from taht tutorial, whether this tutorial is ther something abouth that??? And sorry for my english and if this lines are too confuseing, i hope you will understend

# 74 03-03-2004 , 09:27 AM
Ankalagon, no need to apologise I understood your english.

Q1: Did I download or have the tutorial sent to me on CDROM?

A: I purchased the points then downloaded the tutorial from here:

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...mhtml?cat_id=1

There are 2 parts - the head tutorial and the body tutorial

Q2: Does the tutorial include uv layout and texturing?

A: No. This tutorial is purely and modelling tutorial.

For a good tutorial that includes an excellent uv layout and basic texturing demo as well as a good modelling demo check out:

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=12

That is the modelling part.

The texturing parts are here:

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=34

I got the idea for the way I modeled my teeth from this tutorial and I can use the methods from it to layout uv's and texture.

I am not a good enough painter though to jump into texturing yet.

Thanks for you complements on the model I think Kurt Boutilier
does a very good job of presenting it.

The author of the Monster head modelling and texturing tutrials is Craig Daughtrey and he also does a very nice job.

Between the 2 tutorials I pretty much learned everything I use on this model except the use of shape objects to add the chest and abdominal details. That I picked up from a 3d modelling book. I think it was "Mastering Maya 3".

Cheers!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 75 03-03-2004 , 09:33 AM
Thx a lot mate, you will need to know mutch of photoshop fro texturing i hope you are familiar with Photoshop!!! I will post you a link for some wery nice tutorials but i got to go on work right now and have no time!!! See ya