Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-10-2007 , 09:59 AM

armory

i modelled an m-14 a while ago
and i thought it was about time i used it in a scene
all crits are always welcome.

# 2 28-10-2007 , 10:02 AM
and heres my render.
Rendered using HDRI, FG, GI and Raytracing through mental ray

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 28-10-2007 , 12:34 PM
Lifetime Member
I don't want to bring you down but i'm sorry to have to say that the first thing that jumped out at me was the composition of the render, the guns are actually cut off at the bottom of the pic .

The next thing that bothered me was the guns look kinder fake mainly due to the lack of contrasting materials on the gun.They also IMO look like they are made of plastic.Maybe you need to work on the spec and bump maps a little to bring up the realism a little.

Is the gun Really made of all the same material ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 28-10-2007 , 02:05 PM
Jr.Who
Besides what jsprogg said, I've got a tip for you. NEVER export to jpg directly from Maya. I don't know why, but Maya has the crappiest jpg export that I've seen. Instead, export to png and convert it to jpg in something like PS.
user added image

# 5 30-10-2007 , 10:16 PM
i started working on the bump and spec maps and realised there is a fair bit i can do on it so im moving this scene back to the work in progress section

# 6 06-11-2007 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber

# 7 07-11-2007 , 02:02 PM
cheers mate
i will give that a go i was having some thoughts about doing that so yeah ill post it up soon thanks for the tip though greatly appreciated

# 8 20-11-2007 , 09:11 AM
One thing...the wood grain of the rack. Right now your grain is going horizontal all across the whole rack pieces. For the vertical pieces it should go vertical. If you stop and think about it, the vertical pieces would break if the grain was going across like you have it now.

EA Games
# 9 03-12-2007 , 05:36 AM

Good Start

Its a good start, but I would have to ditto the guns being cropped on the bottom. Also, the textures of the guns all appear the same, and have too much of a plastic feel to them. Keep up the hard work though, its a great starting point.

Ian
ResPower Render Farm
ResPower.com