Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-05-2010 , 11:57 AM

wrapping

Hi. I'm trying to model something a bit like the image below. It needs to look like an object with fabric stretched over it. Anybody got any ideas of the best way of achieving this? I guess n cloth, but how do you get it to cling to something so tightly? I know in rhino there's a shrinkwrap function. Is there anything like that in maya? Or is there an easy way of polymodelling it so it just looks like it's wrapped? Any help much appreciated!

Attached Images
# 2 01-05-2010 , 06:20 PM
me also interested to know this

# 3 01-05-2010 , 08:46 PM
Lifetime Member
there are a couple of mel scripts that can be found on the net that will get you started ..one being this one
https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...polyshrinkwrap

longer way...
Make a large nurbs sphere around the poly object you want shrink wrapped, turn the sphere into a softbody object and select the poly mesh and make colide finally set a radial field pulling the sphere into the poly object to get the sphere to wrap itself around it.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-05-2010 at 08:52 PM.
# 4 04-05-2010 , 01:21 AM
also you could model a poly object around the building then pin your object to certain areas around the model then your cloth sim