Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-01-2007 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber

Game character model - Rider

Well as some of you may know, I've been working on a Speeder Bike model based on the Star Wars speeder bikes found in ep6 on the planet Endor (Link in my sig). As i've been attending Escape Studios, the progress on the bike has slowed down... but I certainly haven't given up on it (as I'm actually reasonably pleased with it so far and I'm looking forward to texturing it.)

As a project at Escape we were given the opportunity to pick a character to model, so I thought this was an ideal opportunity to make a rider for my bike!

The artwork is NOT mine. Nor have I gotten specific permission to use the concept work. I've cheekily 'borrowed' it from www.wfrevolution.com - a modification for Quake4 called Weapons Factory Revolution.

Anyway here's the orthographic views I'll be basing it on.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by petrol; 28-01-2007 at 11:09 PM.
# 2 28-01-2007 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
Here's where I'm at so far. I'm not adding much detail to the body just yet, I've just roughed it out while I work out how I'm going to make best use of my polys. I'm aiming to get the entire body under 2k, and the head at a max of 800 polys.

Any crits / pointers appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by petrol; 29-01-2007 at 05:35 AM.
# 3 28-01-2007 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Should be ffun to model, it's begging for a sweet normal map as well. What course are you doing at Escaped? I came down for a day course they did, would have liked to do a full time course, but living near manchester it would have been one hell of a daily commute!

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 28-01-2007 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Exactly what I thought about the normal map - although I haven't ever done it before I really need to give it a go. I'm doing Maya Comprehensive for Games. If you do your homework there are a few 'cheap' places to stay in the area, but I totally understand your problem, I'm lucky that the commute for me is about an hour and 30 mins (on a good day). It's SO worth it though, I strongly recommend you look into it.

Edit : I'll find out where my mates are staying, and how much it is. Commuting costs almost as much as staying there anyway, they've got some great deals.

# 5 28-01-2007 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
yeah, though the missus would kill me if I suggested selling our house to move darn sarf to do a course with no job. Though I've set myself a target to get myself a job in the industry by summer so it's all hands on the pumps at the minute in creating a sweet portfolio.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 6 29-01-2007 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
thats a pretty cool design ref picture, and will look challenging... goodluck and hope to see more updates user added image

wow Escaped studios, that must be fun for you now...

marlon

# 7 29-01-2007 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber
Yea i agree with marlon john that is cool.:attn:

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 8 29-01-2007 , 03:24 PM
Cool choice of concept,

Seems a good start, not that I know much about games modeling though!

Hey J5ive Wigans got a direct train service to London!!

(or at least it used to when I was a full time worker going there on business trips)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 11-02-2007 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
The character project at Escape was kinda halted a bit early, but seeing as I quite enjoyed doing the character I thought I'd continue with it anyway. I've got quite a few polys to spare now on the body to add details with, after tidying up a bit. The head (half) is at 354, so another 46 to go to complete it (to make my limit 800 when mirrored). So hopefully I'm on track. Hopefully I can get UV'ing by the weekend, ready for some normal map trials...

Anyway... here's what I've got at the moment, low poly one half and smooth proxy (1 div) just so its easier to see where I've put polys. I've also bunged in a wire of the head. I know the presentation is horrible but if anyone has any crits on the models, go right ahead!

Oh and if anyone has any suggestions as to what should be modelled and what should be normal mapped, that would be cool as I'm not 100% confident on it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 09-03-2007 , 03:55 PM
bad,
i dnt like it!
work hard!!!

xsi6/maya
# 11 09-03-2007 , 07:59 PM
Nice character skect and good start user added image

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 12 01-04-2007 , 04:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Petrol

Well, its looking pretty good to be honest. But one thing I need to ask, is it male or female? as the original concept is neither here nor there, but this has a female quality to it, which is never a bad thing. Girls are more intersting to have astride a bike.

Anyway blabbing aside, if its a female, then I'd narrow those hips down a bit more as the concept has very thin hips. Also take the hairline back a bit as the forehead is a little square. If you fell you wanna send me it to have a quick tinker please do, but send it as an .ma not .mb file or send an obj

Cheers
Jay

# 13 01-04-2007 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Not this one Jay.... see Ornathopter in my sig - sorry shouldve mentioned that little detail. user added image Although thanks for the crit on this as I will be coming back to it. user added image