Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-09-2008 , 01:46 AM

the galaxy project

1st issue - a stable vortexField

i have a particle swarm of 50.000 with random radii. a a turbulenceField has been applied to create pattern. the initial state is now set to a dense ball-like particle cloud. the emitter was deleted. so, the particle count is a 50k, live forever and no new particles will be created. this is my start scene.

now I´d like to create some spiral shape to the particles. the problem is: vortexField(Y) blows all particles into universe. so I´d need some stablizing field or modifiy the vortexField in that way so the particles stay together and only receive a spiraling movement. my goal would be to create spiral arms but the particles don´t step outside my XZ-boundingbox. how would I start..?

any input is much appreciated. here´s the scene if anyone is interested. it´s maya2008. hope it´s not too big.

... it was, but I hope you get the idea from my description.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 26-09-2008 , 02:22 AM
I had success with a radialField with negativ value sucking everything now into 000. the tricky part tho was to animate magnitude now from vortexField and RadialField to keep a balanced state between these 2 forces.

but it looks too regular still. I´ll try with another Turbulence field to define some character.

Attached Images

# 3 26-09-2008 , 04:07 AM
after some tweaking. 100k particles right now. I think it needs some nebular added. updates will continue.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 26-09-2008 , 04:15 AM
here´s a picture from early state. working with particles is fun! but I think I have to spend some more time with maya dynamics.

Attached Images

# 5 26-09-2008 , 06:01 AM
Subscriber
Probably a bit late now but you could try a volume axis field, that has turbulence, vortes and uniform effects and would only effect particles inside its volume.

Chris

# 6 26-09-2008 , 08:53 PM
Exactly, as well as either a drag field, or volume radial to keep the particles inside a given areauser added image

Also, mess with attenuation on your radial field to maybe only affect those particles closer to the center.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com