Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-11-2010 , 05:18 AM

Transparency Rendering Issue in Maya 2011

Hey everyone I'm new to compositing video in maya for 3-d integration. I've been having a problem with my renders, they aren't appearing as they do in the viewport.

My object is completely transparent, and should be invisible, as it looks in the viewport, but when it renders, the transparent object leaves some artifacts on the image plane containing my video..

Heres some screen shots.

The top half should not be visible, and you should be able his face.
user added image

Both are set to be completely transparent, but its distorting my image plane's video source.
user added image

Basically in the video, the top and bottom half of the prism surrounding him (made of 2 pyramids) at various times during the animation fading out, disappearing a re-appearing.
with no transparency, it looks fine.
user added image

Anyone know what the solution to this problem might be? My project is due monday so I have to solve it this weekend. And the next time I see my teacher it'll be too late.

I've tried fiddling with all of the render settings, in all 3 render modes (mental ray, maya hardware, maya software) every switch, checkbox, and slider, (individually) then re-rendered, and still it comes out strange.... I just want it to look like it does in the viewport! I hope someone can help solve this frustration..

Thanks in advance!

# 2 27-11-2010 , 01:02 PM
The thin red line
Im not expert but I think it the reflectivity needs to be turned down in the shader.............dave

# 3 27-11-2010 , 10:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah it looks like a specualar reflection.

Also why have you got this guy on an image plane?? Personally I would have projected him on a poly plane as a texture, as judging the fact he is cut out its obviously a 32 bit alpha. Image planes can cause probs too when rendering as you often need to just turn them off before rendering

cheers

Jay

# 4 28-11-2010 , 05:19 AM
Administrator
I just wanted to say that I've also ran into a lot of problems with rendering when I've tried to use camera based image planes so I aviod them as well. I've noticed they're in a lot of beginner books, I don't really get why.

Try setting up geometry based image planes instead, there's a tutorial in the free section https://www.simply3dworld.com/movie_p...html?tut_id=64 if you need some help with it.

Hope the project goes well,
Nilla

# 5 28-11-2010 , 03:58 PM
Oh, sorry, my lack of proper maya terminology has me at a loss.

I did not use an image plane. It's actually a polyplane, with a lambert material, which has the IFF sequence as it's color.

So its a flat polyplane, not image plane.