Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-10-2005 , 04:51 PM

Molten Lava?

In the Maya help there's an example of what is possible using a viscous liquid....

https://localhost:4448/Maya6.5/en_US/Movies/lavaflow.mov

How do I achieve that same look. And while I'm asking a question...how do I make my ocean interact/collide with a beach (nurbs) so that I don't get the funky intersecting problem?

# 2 04-10-2005 , 06:04 PM
Your link doesn't work.

# 3 05-10-2005 , 02:58 PM
Sorry...I guess it was on my local network. Here's the file.

Attached Files
File Type: zip lavaflow.zip (107.7 KB, 330 views)
# 4 06-10-2005 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
link came up for me just fine, it just opens the file on your local network because you have the docserver installed....

but this is something that needs to be done in compositing its not something you can do in maya, and you will need realflow if you really really really want to do this in a 3d package

# 5 06-10-2005 , 03:08 PM
Actually, Maya Fluids can do this with no problem. I've done it myself. There's really no trick to it but you have to know how to use fluids.

Basically, it's a non-dynamic surface render that uses temperature to control the incandescent color ramp. The lava uses texture settings to get the cool look, including the black lava that has cooling down and is floating on the surface.

The density of the fluid is very high. You could either use an emitter to deliver it to the container or paint it in.

Again, the trick is understanding the fluid settings. If you want, I could put together a scene for you and set up a link. I use Maya 6.5 .

Last edited by Velusion; 06-10-2005 at 03:19 PM.
# 6 06-10-2005 , 03:11 PM
That would be sweet if you could get me started like that! I don't ask for you to do it all for me, because I want to learn...but just that much would help out a ton!

# 7 06-10-2005 , 03:17 PM
I'll do it after I get home from work. It should be ready in 7 hours from now. user added image

Last edited by Velusion; 06-10-2005 at 03:19 PM.
# 8 06-10-2005 , 04:30 PM
Thanks!

# 9 06-10-2005 , 11:09 PM
user added image

Here's the scene file. It was made in Maya 6.5 .

Lava scene file

Here is a different look to the lava

user added image

If you like this one better then use this file:

Lava2

I gave you some wrong info when I said that the incandescence was driven by temperature. You could do it that way but in this example I chose to use a Y gradient for the incandescence. I also animated the texture so that it would move as the lava moves. If you want to play around with changing the look of the lava, go to the texture settings under the fluid container and experiment with the amplitude, ratio, and frequency ratio. Also try the texture setting while you're there...

Have fun!

Last edited by Velusion; 07-10-2005 at 12:54 PM.
# 10 07-10-2005 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
I actually read the post wrong I thought he was trying to make lava collide with the maya ocean for some odd reason which is why I said use realflow

# 11 07-10-2005 , 02:59 PM
That is sweet!!! Thanks a bunch! That definitely gets me started...I'll probably have some more questions as I fiddle with it during the next couple a days but that helps a ton!

# 12 07-10-2005 , 07:31 PM
Okay, the lava looks great and it works fine except for some things that I can't seem to find which value would make this different. (Below I've attatched my scene...the FlybyCamera is what I'm using). Okay...in the scene you'll see kind of what I'm trying to accomplish, but am having some issues with things, mostly with the dynamics and particles. I haven't done any texturing or anything like that yet, but the questions that I have refer to the interaction with the some what motionless lava, and the exploding lava and how they react with the mountain.

I want to make the slow moving lava a lot smaller so that it doesn't look like it's overtaking the mountain. I don't know if there's a better way to make it work, but the way I ended up getting it to "work" is to have a particle emit from a very small (non-visible) object at the peak of the mountain. Everything else I tried didn't work.

I want to make the particles (or exploding lava) to hold off on the "explosion" until we get right in front of it, and I can't figure out which value to keyfame.

Is there a way to have the slow moving lava and the exploding lava interact with each other?

And basically anything else to make it look a little bit more realistic. Thanks for any pointers, and of course you'll probably recognize some of the things from various tutorials...but yeah...I'm learning.

Attached Files
File Type: mb island.mb (132.2 KB, 247 views)
# 13 08-10-2005 , 12:35 AM
Damn. I wish I had time this weekend to help you but I don't. I've got my own Maya problems to deal with.user added image

There may be a way to get the exploding lava to work with the slow flowing lava but it would take some experimenting. You know that you can have more than one emitter attached to a single fluid container. The problems is that all emitters inside a single container will share certain properties such as viscosity and friction and, well, almost all of them actually! So, it would be hard to make one emitter emit slow thick lava and have another emit thinner fast moving lava. You might be able to pull it off with some creative use of Fields. Maybe a wind field could be used to "blow" the lava from one emitter around...

You can also put fluid containers inside of other fluid containers. That way, one container could be used to create thick lava and the other could be used to create thinner faster moving lava that flies through the air. The only catch is that fluids from different containers can not interact with each other. In other words, they won't "see" each other. They won't collide or mix together or anything.

I haven't looked at your scene file but is looks like you're trying to do something more advanced than your knowledge will allow. Fluids were, and still are, very hard for me to completely understand. My advice is that you take a few steps back and spend a little time doing little projects to help you understand what you're doing. Lava and clouds and fire and water are all pretty much the same thing as far as fluids go. Lava is kind of like thick fire and clouds are kind of like frozen water with a lot of texture. Maya comes with examples of a whole bunch of fluid effects. Study the setting. I also know that there are several very good dvds out there that will explain most of fluid system very well but they each cost about $60. It's money well spent for anyone who is serious about learning though...

Hang in there..

James

# 14 08-10-2005 , 02:25 AM
Thanks for the help so far...I'll continue experimenting, and take a step back. If you get a chance to take a look that would be great.

# 15 11-07-2008 , 09:09 PM
Hello Vellusion,

is it possible to put these Maya Lava scene files back up, cause the links are dead?

thanks,

al