Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-04-2006 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber

Samsung SyncMaster 930BF

Hey people,

I've been away for some time because I've been moving, but now I'm pratically settled in, and, as you can see, back online user added image

I've managed to slip a new monitor onto my furniture budget (the old one was 9 years old, so I really needed one user added image ), and I've decided to model it... As you can see from the title, it's a Samsung SM 930BF, a 19" gamer monitor, and a beauty imo user added image

Modeling's as good as done, just to throw in the six buttons at the bottom of the frame, and then I'm on to texturing...

Here's a render with the basic lambert

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 06-04-2006 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
And here's a render with basic shaders to get an idea of the colors

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 06-04-2006 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
And here's a low poly wire

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 10-04-2006 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
Been doing a bit of UV's and started the shading... Comments would be appreciated as this is my first real attempt at shading and rendering...

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 10-04-2006 , 05:53 PM
It's taking shape rather well mate. I was thing about doing my monitor as a first project last night. Anyway keep up the good work and you'll be creating some awesome 3d stuff soon. user added image

: )
# 6 10-04-2006 , 10:30 PM
It looks fine to me blomkaal. I haven't done any inorganic modelling yet so I am not sure what improvements I can suggest - Maybe a bit of lighting to bring it out a bit more when you render.

# 7 10-04-2006 , 10:44 PM
Ok, gr8 start on modeling.

if I were you though, I'd look up Mental Ray materials, especailly the DGS shader, and also on interior lighting (which should be used, since thats a monitor, located indoors :p

Theres a nice thread over at www.cgtalk.com in the maya>maya rendering section called VRAY style renders in Mental Ray

Take an hour or two and read half of that thread, and you will gain sooo much knowledge about rendering, making your renders fast, optimizing them, the best settings for sampling and such, different lights... etc.

If you want to learn lighting, since u said u dont have much rendering experience just read that thread

hope that helps
MAtt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 8 11-04-2006 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments people,

Arran, yeah at the moment it's just a three point light setup used to test the colors and the specular settings...

Matt, yeah, I think I've had a glance at the thread some time ago, but didn't bother to read it through because I didn't have anything that was ready to render at that time... Only problem is that my MR has dissapeared, as in completely, from my plugin manager as well... I'll have to dig out my Maya some time soon to check if it can be installed individually, or if I'll have to reinstall Maya...