Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-09-2008 , 03:57 PM

i need help on this one

hi there,
could anyone show me or give me hints as to how to create an explosion effect, like the one found among the videos in the maya help tutorial files? i think that i once saw a similar question asked on this forum, but unfortunately i could not follow it because i am using a different version of maya than the one that the supplied help file was made in. i use maya 7, so if possible a compatible maya 7.0 file, or a maya ascii (.ma) file might do.
please help me. thanks!user added image

# 2 05-09-2008 , 05:02 PM
Creating explosions are quite complicated depending on what you are trying to do.
They usually involve dynamics, shading, lighting and modeling all rolled into one, so it tends to be rather specific.

I created an affordable video tutorial using Maya 7 for exactly what you are looking for if you are interested:
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=48

Otherwise, what are you trying to achieve exactly?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 07-09-2008 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
does that tut include the smashing tool.., what ever it is.., the explosion i can do.., and i can composite the debri.., but i cant do the debi in maya.., so does the tut explain that too??

i have exactly 12 points left!!!

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 07-09-2008 , 09:27 AM
Actually, in the tutorial, I explain how the plane is broken apart using only the standard Maya tools, and maybe a freely-downloadable melscriptuser added image

No plugins, or "Unlimited-only" tools neededuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 07-09-2008 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
thats what im talking about user added image

cheers

# 6 08-09-2008 , 08:35 AM
actually, what i was referring to is a nuclear explosion. but i wish i could delve deeper into the whole concept of the use of viscous liquids to create effects.
i have already gone thru the preliminary 2d and 3d containers, temperature et al, but i don't yet know how to texture these fluids and containers to give them the kind of realistic looking effect of a viscous liquid or fluid, like a a molten lava or a nuclear explosion.
could you give me hints on texturing such fluids? i wld be grateful if you did. thanks!

# 7 08-09-2008 , 11:12 AM
Wow, what you are asking is EXTREMELY difficult to the point that whole DVD's are sold on this very topicuser added image

HOWEVER! user added image

Here is a link to a simple tutorial that may help, created by Duncan Brimsmede (co-creator of Fluid & nCloth at Autodesk):

https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/b...h_maya_fluids/

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 8 08-09-2008 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
texturing is not so difficult?? its almost default?? isnt it textured as soon as it becomes dynamic, add temp, fuel, ect??

you will see a ramp of orange, yellow and black.., that should texture the fluid once its dynamic.., if i remember properly.., just a guess.

anyway, i was going to suggest the visor.., but that link Izzy gave is saying thats a good place to start too.

i brought the tut, whats an explosion with out debris

# 9 08-09-2008 , 02:13 PM

Originally posted by mirek03
texturing is not so difficult?? its almost default?? isnt it textured as soon as it becomes dynamic, add temp, fuel, ect??

By default, sortof, but not always.
Lighting comes into play, as does how one adds custom textures to attributes, etc.

Originally posted by mirek03 i brought the tut, whats an explosion with out debris

exactlyuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 10-09-2008 , 04:35 AM
actually, i am particularly concerned about using custom textures in maya viscous fluids. but maybe i'll try to use the default settings for a while. i was hoping that i would be able to export such fluid uvs into photoshop to create custom textures, just as it is done with polygons, but i'm having problems with that.
i would welcome any suggestions as to how to go about it. thanks a lot for the help so far!