Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-03-2017 , 05:34 AM

Multi-Tile UVs

Hello, I am having a killer time trying to figure out Multi-Tile UVs.
My problem is simple: How do you load a second image/texture
onto the 2nd(3rd, 4th, etc) tile space? I can move the 1st texture
by Translating Frame on the Place2D node, but doing this for a
2nd texture(using a layered texture) does not put the texture
in the 2nd UV tile. I am baffled.

Here is a link to the video question:

https://vimeo.com/206754438

Brandon C.

# 2 06-03-2017 , 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
Since version 2015(?) Maya has had a UV tile mode implemented on file nodes so the manual method isn't needed. I've never used the layered texture in a UV tile setup, I just tried it and it didn't work. The method I've used is, after setting the appropriate translate frame values and unchecking wrap U/V as you did, I plug each texture into the default color swatch (under the texture's color balance section) of the previous. The default color is what fills the empty space when a texture doesn't wrap along U/V. A couple downsides to this, the swatches render in 0-1 space so the textures outside of that won't have have very descriptive thumbnails and the UV texture editor will not display all those textures at the same time unlike with the "official" UV tile mode.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 3 06-03-2017 , 03:21 AM
Ah I got it, thanks a lot for the advice! I was able to do it the manual way as you described and then the UV tile mode way. The latter is def easier but it's good to now know both, Thanks again!

Brandon C.