Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-10-2006 , 06:33 AM

Maya, huh, what is it good for...

I have been teaching myself Maya for about a month. This forum is an excellent source of knowledge and has been very helpful. My next question is once I learn it, all the in's and outs, and aside from my own personal goal and entertainment, what can I do with it that pays $$.

Thanks a bunch

# 2 02-10-2006 , 02:07 PM
Almost anything related with multimedia! You can also go BIG if yur really good with modeling and stuff.user added image

Lets keep our dreams alive!
# 3 03-10-2006 , 04:42 AM
didn't they do the special effects for lord of the rings in maya?

# 4 03-10-2006 , 05:30 AM
Yeah, thats what I heard I think!user added image

# 5 03-10-2006 , 05:44 AM
they also made "the incredibles", "free jimmy" and alot of that kinda movies/animations in mayauser added image

# 6 03-10-2006 , 06:56 AM
God, just about everything is done in Maya.

**note, Maya isn't exclusively used in most of the following examples...**

Halo/Halo2? Maya
Pixar? Maya (Hell, unless you create the RIBs (which is automated by most programs), PRMan is ONLY compatible with Maya -- via their PRMan for Maya plugin)
UnrealTournament? Maya
ILM? Maya
You see the pattern. Maya's everywhere.

# 7 03-10-2006 , 07:40 AM
Lets not forget Shrek and F.F Advent Children!

# 8 03-10-2006 , 07:53 AM
As stated multiple times before... the basic issue with Maya vs its competitors is what the artist is used to.

You'll find that unless the art house refuses to hire people who don't work on X package, or forces people to work on X package... which is rare due to its cost-ineffectiveness... Maya's used just about everywhere.

# 9 03-10-2006 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
RenderMan is not only compatible with maya.

RenderMan for maya is a still a plugin; but only a maya plugin.

all apps can export to PRMan thesedays [via whatever solution they have]

ILM uses XSI and Maya
and mostly in-house stuff.

usually theyll have seats for other apps, like houdini which is beyond maya in terms of particle works.

i dont think LOTR effects were maya exclusively.

# 10 03-10-2006 , 12:41 PM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
RenderMan is not only compatible with maya.

RenderMan for maya is a still a plugin; but only a maya plugin.

all apps can export to PRMan thesedays [via whatever solution they have]

ILM uses XSI and Maya
and mostly in-house stuff.

usually theyll have seats for other apps, like houdini which is beyond maya in terms of particle works.

i dont think LOTR effects were maya exclusively.

PRMan is an external program therefore its compatible with nothing... it accepts RIBs and spits out images.

PRMan for Maya is the only renderer Pixar made that was exclusive for a single rendering package. (Hence what I was talkign about)

ILM uses Maya -- and if you note my post I claimed in astrixes -- not necessarily exclusively. XSI is used quite a bit aswell... along with inhouse software.

Its almost impossible to find a house which uses exclusively Maya... the fact of the matter is -- if you learn Maya, there ARE places for you in almost EVERY company in the industry.

Again, I explicitly noted that while there's places for you everywhere... it may not be the ONLY program they have a place for.

IE: If you know maya and want a job in the industry -- almost everywhere there's a door open. Almost guarenteed the open door isn't EXCLUSIVELY for Maya, but it accepts Maya.

# 11 03-10-2006 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Phopojijo
PRMan is an external program therefore its compatible with nothing... it accepts RIBs and spits out images.

PRMan for Maya is the only renderer Pixar made that was exclusive for a single rendering package. (Hence what I was talkign about)

how can it accept RIBs if its compatible with nothing ? :p

PRMan like you say is a renderer for maya, so its not only an external program, its intergrated into maya user added image
yea, most studios usually have multiple solutions.
they are all most likely to have maya at some stage.
same for 3ds max