Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-08-2009 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber

Help me electrocute my character!

I'm working on a small animation, and my character gets electrocuted, was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions as far as how you would go about this?

I'm guessing something in the particles field would be appropriate? It can be as cartoony as need be, any thoughts?

By the way this board is the best, you guys have bailed me out several times thank you to all!!!

Last edited by jjmacky88; 13-08-2009 at 01:44 AM.
# 2 13-08-2009 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
best topic title yet

you can grab two spheres, apply the dynamics lightning effect (Effects > Lightning)
it'll place lightning between the two spheres
you can put the spheres where you want your lightning bolt to start and end, then hide them

animate your character jiggling like it's being electrocuted, make some sparks or smoke come off (there's a smoke effect in Effects > Smoke)

and that should get you started user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 13-08-2009 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber
Chirone, I think you've just about replied to any question I've had on here thank you for the idea, that sounds great! Exactly what i was looking for!

# 4 13-08-2009 , 08:31 AM
You could also use paint FX for it by creating an object that encapsulates the character and have he paint FX on that.

Theres a lightning ball tutorial over at the Area in Duncan's Blog that should give you the Idea. A jiggle deformer on the character may do the movement

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle