Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 07-12-2008 , 08:01 AM
Yeah, unfortunately it's not the best course of all time. It's not the first time they ask for something completely unrealistic and we've actually been in contact with the people responsible several times.

I should add to this that during this same time frame we're expected to also do a group project where we basically have to do the same thing, and animate it. So this first part of the course we've also had to make a storyboard, plan a group project and to model it and in the upcoming month we have to animate it to a 3-5 minute story.

It's a pity, but there's really not much to do now except trying to make the best of it, but it definitely stinks.

# 17 07-12-2008 , 08:43 AM
Its just surprising how they didnt bother to take innitiive and find out how much is involved in this kind of project

FX supervisor - double negative
# 18 12-12-2008 , 11:19 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
Its just surprising how they didnt bother to take innitiive and find out how much is involved in this kind of project

Actually we've decided to schedule a meeting with the people in charge now so we'll hopefully see a change.

Anyway. Back to this impossible project user added image

So we've started the animation course but I'm badly behind schedule already. Well, I reckon what will happen is that I'll do a quick animation for when the course ends and then refine it afterwards. Anyway, I've been adding some models and I'm still not even done with the scene, so I'm getting quite stressed.

Here's a render of the mental asylum (yes, I will resize the hamster soon user added image):

user added image

I've also removed quite a few edge loops on the "hamster", but I still have lots to do even apart from animating the whole thing...

I want to add fluid clouds which I have no idea about, still need to refine the fur around his face and to add some topology around eyes and mouth. Also I need to model some trees and barbed wire. Any advices on how to make these? When it comes to trees, I tried the paint effects ones but couldn't figure out how to make the trunks big enough... Want the hamster to be able to hide behind them.