Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 13-05-2003 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
M- Thanks for the crit man... more please! user added image

I agree about the jacket, it looks too puffy and soft. .. I also started working on the hand textures too.

H!

# 47 13-05-2003 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
ello,

I think if you just make the folds and creases larger on the jacket on the unsmoothed version it would look much better. smoothing the mesh really decreases the size of those.

cheers

Rich
# 48 13-05-2003 , 11:41 PM
Well, Im screwed. You make my model look like a peice of dookie. user added imageuser added imageuser added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 49 14-05-2003 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
Your welcome Howard user added image. One other thing that you may not be doing. I notice that you are making this model as one half, and then duplicating it over.. a tip for that would be to do these exact steps.

Select everything you want to copy over
Group it
Duplicate it
mirror it over (-1 in Z axis i think)
Deselect
Select each part that merges in the middle and combine them
Go into vert mode and select all middle verts
Merge verts with .0001 settings
NOW go to "Edit polys>Normals>Soften/Harden>all soft"
finally smooth the mesh.

I used to just smooth one half, duplicate it over and do my renders.. what i realise with this technique though is that you get weird shading on each side, you tend to have that line down the middle more often, and the whole mesh just doesnt duplicate over properly.

If this is the same steps you are using.. then just fix it in your final render by moving those verts user added image... Ok, not sure if that helps, but maybe it would get rid of that line user added image. Cya

)v(

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 50 14-05-2003 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by drknow
Well, Im screwed. You make my model look like a peice of dookie. user added imageuser added imageuser added image

LOL, ditto

# 51 14-05-2003 , 03:58 AM

Originally posted by M
I used to just smooth one half, duplicate it over and do my renders.. what i realise with this technique though is that you get weird shading on each side, you tend to have that line down the middle more often, and the whole mesh just doesnt duplicate over properly.

Remember to check on both shells normals though, as you can invert them by duplicating into negative scales.
(Or so I have understood after several tries)

# 52 15-05-2003 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
Wow thanks guys!

I wasnt doing the "Edit polys>Normals>Soften/Harden>all soft" step... as I wasnt aware it even existed!! but I will now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am revisting the Jacket, adding more folds in the poly stage as cb8rwh suggested (no shots yet user added image )

---------

also I started to work on the hand texture as M suggested.. painting in PS.

here are some early pics , no bump map yet - just color map.
H!

# 53 15-05-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
whoops forgot to add this!

the fingernails appear as if the they are going to peal off! i used the Crease function in the SubD menu... is there any way to tweak this? I included a close up of the mesh for reference.

also user added image Thanks for changing my post title M! You da' man!!

H!

# 54 15-05-2003 , 02:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
Very nice texturing. user added image Only thing I'd maybe mess with is perhaps make the space between the fingers a little more uniform. The larger gap in the middle seems a little off to me.

Very nice job!

# 55 15-05-2003 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
Mike, you are dead-on with that! looks like I have been doing the Vulcan live long and prosper sign way too muchuser added image

its amazing what you dont notice after looking at something for so long.

H!
(still saving my penny's up to buy points for your character rigging tutorial!)

# 56 15-05-2003 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
LOL, hahahahhaaha, thats hillarious. BTW, i know rendering things on black looks good at times.. but one other thing i suggest is always rendering out on a light color.. or inbetween dark and light.. because sometimes shadows ore really glossy areas dont come up in the render and can give a bad effect.. such as your hand there... i think the gaps are just a bit less than that, but because of rendering on black it looks really far apart. Anyways, just what i like to do user added image. Cya.

# 57 15-05-2003 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber

looks like I have been doing the Vulcan live long and prosper sign way too much

Man Blame it on guitar playing. Yeah like its the 6 fret streches....yeah.

:banana: Man your work just keeps getting better. I see that you split your model for texturing. Is this the only way to get the UV's separate for mapping? user added image

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net
# 58 15-05-2003 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
essahc- lol!...I can barley type after all the penatonic scales I have practiced!

I think you can split up the uv mapping other ways, but I was getting overwelmed by the amount of them. so I took the easy way out user added image

I saw that cb8rwh had made a nice set of dentures for his model,
so I gave it a go too user added image - however after I smoothed em' and put them in I noticed how much they looked like a bunch of after dinner mints instead of teeth user added image user added image

also after a couple of quick renders I am noticing some texture problems need to be addressed. like my perfectly symetrical hairline for starters....

H!

# 59 15-05-2003 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 60 16-05-2003 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
Hey man, i actually love the teeth.. as they have that cartoonish look to it!