Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-01-2004 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber

need help on bevel after boolean diff

hello,

# 2 28-01-2004 , 10:57 AM
Subscriber
hmmm, hit the enter button, sorry for the stupid post. I need some help on bevelling after a boolean operation. When i make a polygon cube en then subtract a polygon cilinder from the cube with boolean>difference, i can't create a bevel on the edge between the cube and the cilinder. The whole scene vanishes when i try to bevel. What do i do wrong? If someone can help. i would be very thankful.

Tiz.

# 3 28-01-2004 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
a picture of the problem would help. but I think I understand what you meen. did you have the cube with only 1 subdivistion when it was made ? most likely there are no edges going between the cube and cilinder. you will need some. you could start over with a cube that is made with 2 subdivistions for all 3 axiz. or you could cut the edges in buy hand.

# 4 28-01-2004 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot! raising the number of subdivisions worked just fine! Bevelling was no problem. But it seems that when the model gets more complex, there are still problems with bevelling. I included a pic of the model. There are egdes between the cilinder and the cube (at the arrow) but i cant get a bevel at that point. Could you help me out again? Thanks in advance.

Tiz

# 5 28-01-2004 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
Uhmmm. How do you attach a pic?

# 6 28-01-2004 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
ok, there it is

Attached Images
# 7 28-01-2004 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
Download the Byron Poly tools Bevel from highend 3d, and beware of booleans.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 8 28-01-2004 , 05:17 PM
ok I have run into the similar problem of not knowing a good clean way of cutting a cylinder into a shape like that without using a boolean. What's the best way of doing it?

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 9 28-01-2004 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the tip fredriksson. i will download the tool.
you said: beware of booleans. so is there a method to cut a hole without booleans? thanks in advance.

tiz

# 10 28-01-2004 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
Actually, for that kind of use there isn't, that I know of. I guess it would look just as good, or better with NURBS, which by definition handles trims alot better. But for polys, you just have to make sure it cuts cleanly and tidy up the result. And if youre gonna smooth it, make sure the result is all quad.

# 11 29-01-2004 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
awww, hear. for circles with that many faces on the inside. to bevel them right you need the same number of edges in the bevel also. forget beveling tools, unless you take a different approach to putting the holes in. I have a different idea. easy way to get a bevel for them is to select all the faces on the inside of the hole. Extrude with the face keeps together. once you start your extrude, scale them down a little. This makes a bevel for you, 2 identical bevels for the inside and out side. all for the price of one tool.

# 12 29-01-2004 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
ok, thanks alot for the advice guys! I'll give both your opinions a try.

tiz

# 13 29-01-2004 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
I merely say that Byrons bevel superseeds the maya one, and it's free. Get it, try it, if it works for you use it. It creates cleaner bevels atleast. Ponys method will work as well in this circumstance, perhaps you can try both.