Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-08-2005 , 06:56 PM

Movie Texture transparency?

I'm making a minature landscape model focusing on a natural water cycle and I've just figured out how to add in an animated movie texture for my rain..

But now when I try to make it transparent, it doesn't seem to want to work. I can change the transparency to a file type, but it won't be animated.

Any way to get around this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-08-2005 , 08:19 AM
because your movie file contains no transparency info. You can use a series of tifs/tgas as an animated texture so try that instead of a movie.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 11-08-2005 , 12:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks that worked out perfectly.

On a totally different subject, can you give out any hints about the Doom movie?!? :bandit:

# 4 11-08-2005 , 12:33 PM
apart from what's online already at https://www.aintitcool.com I can't really tell you anything. The first person sequence is what we did, amongst other things, and it's pretty awesome.

You'll just have to wait till Oct 1st to see it user added image

user added image
A

IMDB
# 5 11-08-2005 , 01:19 PM
Blast, I thought it had worked, but then, nothing! I've tried targas, tifs and jpegs.. As soon as I click on "use image sequence" I get this error "Warning: Texture file C:/images/rain/rain 001.jpg doesn't exist, node file2" but i've got my whole sequence in there, so I don't get it. user added image

# 6 11-08-2005 , 01:33 PM
ok do some research on yoru file formats! user added image tifs support alpha channels make sure it has one (jpgs dont so dont ever use them!!)

Pad your frames properly: myFile 001.tif isn't padded properly so maya doesn't know what to do with it. Pad them like this:

myfile.0001.tif myfile.0002.tif myfile.0003.tif ..... myfile.0100.tif etc

Then it will work properly

user added image
A

IMDB
# 7 11-08-2005 , 02:38 PM
Thank you!! You are a genius! I was just very used to the way 3d studio handled opacity, it's going to take me a while to get used to maya. Thank you again for all your help, this was driving me crazy!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-08-2005 , 02:47 PM
no problem user added image

user added image
A

IMDB
# 9 13-08-2005 , 11:54 PM
I just saw the new doom trailer and I think I saw a snippet of that FPS sequence you were talking about, looks awesome!!

# 10 14-08-2005 , 11:50 AM
you haven't even seen the best bit yet user added image it's awesome!

user added image
A

Ps. wait until you see the xmen 3 stuff we're doing.... that'll blow you guys away!!!

IMDB
# 11 14-08-2005 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber
The Doom trailer got sent round work recently, and well, I thought it was poo (no offence Alan, lol!!.......Framestore's squirrels were fab in Charlie!). I think the effects look ace, but as for everything else I think its going to be awful. I can't think of a single film thats been made about a video game thats good. Luckily I'm on holiday when its released, so thats one excuse not to see it at least!!

........(I'm sure the bits you did were great Alan!! user added image )

LisaG

p.s, whats your project for, Niasyn, it looks really interesting. Are you doing the water cycle for anything in particular??

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/

Last edited by lisa_gonzalez; 14-08-2005 at 05:47 PM.
# 12 14-08-2005 , 06:56 PM

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
LisaG
whats your project for, Niasyn, it looks really interesting. Are you doing the water cycle for anything in particular??

Thanks! It's for the national weather service, I'm trying to model out all the different weather cycles I can come up with for a presentation. I've got rain and snow done, now i've moved on to forest fires. user added image