Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 106 11-09-2008 , 09:09 PM
Lifetime Member

i couldnt get that script to work (no biggie) .., im wondering if its me?? have you tried it in maya 2008??

Yes I have it working in 2008, have you sourced the script ? or check where you placed it maybe, i have mine in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya\scripts.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 107 12-09-2008 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
thanks, the next thing is mental ray.., i'm gaining a little understanding of the renderers.., but it'll take quite sometime to get to the level of understanding i see you have. I used the presets on the maya render layers.., i think i can owe the look of this render to the little i know of compositing and the layer blend modes. ????
user added image (to yu)

john, OK, now i know i can work with it.., maya has been playing up a little.., for example i cant repeat extrude with the 'G' command or merge with the 'G ' command??? yep, the script is in the correct place.

anyway.., ill try again.

thanks john user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 108 12-09-2008 , 04:51 PM
Lifetime Member

maya has been playing up a little.., for example i cant repeat extrude with the 'G' command or merge with the 'G ' command???

I think this is a Maya quirk, i have had this happen from time to time on the last couple of versions of Maya.
Also from time to time ctrl d doesn't work and I have to go the command in the menu.
I just save the scene quit and reopen it to cure it , i don't really know why the hotkeys go missing sometimes.

# 109 13-09-2008 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
thats interesting??

its a pain but thats maya at times.

oh yea, got the script working.., from the command line.., i usually load it from the script editor.., but i seem to get it wrong from time to time.

# 110 13-09-2008 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
no focus on the renders just a quick one to get an over all look at what has been achieved so far.., bit of a marathon user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 111 13-09-2008 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
just thought id do a bit of a render.., nothing too much yet.

Attached Thumbnails

# 112 14-09-2008 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
completed the tuts.., threw a Blinn on it and started playing around in PS with different renders, diff, spec, occ, depth.., ect

ill try and get a decent environment happening soon.., any suggestions as to how i might render this.., im thinking a sphere and Global Illumination.., in which case ill have to learn it first.., no biggie.., its cold outside.

Attached Thumbnails

# 113 14-09-2008 , 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well theres the physical sky feature but I kinda like it the way it is right now with the glossy blinn.

- Genny
# 114 14-09-2008 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
im doing a turntable atm.., using everything.., normals too., ill put the image sequences into Fusion and see what i can come up with for now..., though there is no textures yet.., just the blinn.

but i really want to put this on the ground.., rather than floating it in space.., anyway.., i like to learn new things

you really think the physical sun is good?? ive never used it.., i thought GI would be good for light washing over the dome ect.., or am i thinking final gather??

thanks, yea i actually put a shader on it rather than using lambert 1!! the colour though, is coming from the lights..!!..?? actually.., i might be thinking of this render thats rendering now (?? confuses himself)..,

i need to do some research on the texture of this building.., i have been too busy with audio/sound design/film and animation to get too deeply involved with this. this one is not making me money LOL user added image

user added image (I know its your favourite user added image )

# 115 14-09-2008 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
hey John.., do i smooth the doorways and all.., so far i have just smooth what i thought obvious to me.., the columns, domes, and such.

# 116 14-09-2008 , 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mirek03

you really think the physical sun is good?? ive never used it.., i thought GI would be good for light washing over the dome ect.., or am i thinking final gather??

The physical sky auto utilizes final gather, though you'll have to correct the gamma because it washes stuff out. I think its quite suitable for these exterior arch shots.

- Genny
# 117 14-09-2008 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber
you mean adjust it in post or is there a 'dial' user added image

# 118 14-09-2008 , 02:07 PM
Lifetime Member
First off let me say I think you have done a great job on the modelling.
As far as smoothing goes ,personally I would not smooth the doors but if you think you need to you might have to reinforce the edges with a split poly or two.

A dome would work great but the physical sun looks really good too without much effort or tweeking.I would try both and see which you prefer, time spent testing lighting setups is time well spent on any model since it's the lighting that can make or break a good render really.

I have a little reference material regarding the texturing of the biulding if you want it I can e-mail it over to you.

Really nice work there Mirek and I hope you took something from the tutorial and it helped you improve in some way.

# 119 14-09-2008 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
thanks John. user added image i think it looks pretty good myself actually user added image i think its the first tut i ever finished.

it was great fun, i stole time to do it and also did when i could relax. Sure, i learnt plenty, a lot of work flows to save time mainly.

its still rendering a turntable.., when i comp it ill put up the link. which by the look of it (im on the mac watching the PC) will be pretty soon. (9 hours later) Im pretty tired, if i was smart i would go to bed and do it in the morning .., i hope its the right camera ???

yea, it would be great to have something to go by, if you could send that reference over id be much appreciated.

Muser added image

thanks again, user added image

# 120 15-09-2008 , 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mirek03
you mean adjust it in post or is there a 'dial' user added image

An mia_exposure_simple will be attached to the camera and that adds more gamma so you'll have to tone that number down, I don't think you'll need anything over 1.5 and thats pushing it. Also I've seen other people use gamma correction nodes on all their texture files.

- Genny