Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-09-2002 , 12:00 AM
SM Alumni

sound card choices?

Just wandering if any of you guys know of any decent, and NOT made by Creative, sound cards preferably in the sub £100 price range.
My onboard sound sucks, and my 5 year old Yamaha 192XG has finally given up the ghost (sob..)

# 2 25-09-2002 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
How about Turtle beach Santa Cruz? Pretty popular right now and a nice price. $45 in the US. Not sure where you'll find them in the UK though.

# 3 25-09-2002 , 04:10 PM
SM Alumni
thanks for the tip - I'll go 'a huntin and see if i can find one

# 4 25-09-2002 , 05:06 PM
SM Tea Boy
__Proven & Recommended Sound Cards for SPDIF pass through->

Audio Excel-Theater Excel-$19 USD
Hercules Fortissimo I & II-$45 USD
Hercules Game Theater XP- $110 USD
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz- $75 USD
Terratec DMX XFire 1024-$58 USD
Philips Acoustic Edge - $??
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 - $??(Highly recommended for Audio Freaks)

Any C-Media 8738 based sound card has given great results whether it’s built-in to the motherboard or a PCI card. They also pass both DTS and DD without issue. Here are a few cards-

AudioExcel MD-Mate - $??
Yamaha X-Wave 7000 Pro - $??
Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6 - $40 USD

Philips Acoustic Edge is reported to work very well in VIA motherboards as well. It’s advised the sound card be installed to the farthest PCI slot from the CPU.

Note: Creative cards are purposely not listed above due to the numerous hardware/software issues on most of the models. Issues range from bad drivers, jitter, SNR to out of voltage specifications which could damage your external amp. The intent was to show cost effective sound cards which are easy to configure for multi-channel and SPDIF playback.

Info i was using for reference the other day might help user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 25-09-2002 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber

# 6 25-09-2002 , 11:00 PM
SM Alumni
damn thanks for that David - continued to hear good things about the turtle beach, but still not found one in the UK as of yet. The reasons you left the creative cards out are the same reasons i didnt want one recomended user added image had waay too many probs with theyre ultra shitty drivers to want to touch one again.

# 7 27-09-2002 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kal,

check out the 3rd paragraph here...

Sonic Fury

... it reckons the Sonic Fury is the same hardware as the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which you can get from:

www.vgicomputers.com £50.00

www.Overclock.co.uk £50.29

www.Overclockers.co.uk £53.35

Oh, note that these are OEM cards, which means they won't come with all the goodies in the retail pack like manuals and software (also possibly not including a cable to link the card to your CD-ROM). If this bothers you, the first two of the "where to buy" links also stock the retail packs for this card which will include all the gubbins.

I have to say that I am running with an Audigy at the moment with no probs - I used to own one of the notorious SB!Live cards (unfortunately partnered with an early KT133 Via chipset) though, so can understand your reluctance to go with Creative again !!!! When I spoke to Creative's tech support about the problems with the SB!Live, I passed on tons of helpful troubleshooting results and solutions to improve the situation but they basically just didn't want to know. Not very impressed with them.

Pete.

Last edited by badbunny; 27-09-2002 at 11:53 PM.
# 8 27-09-2002 , 11:50 PM
SM Tea Boy
o ya i was going to say the Sonic Fury is a kick ass card :-)

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 27-09-2002 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
David, I see that you stumbled across this new fangled "coffee" drink too ?! user added image

# 10 28-09-2002 , 12:04 AM
SM Tea Boy
LOL yep m8 iv been a working as a programmer for the last 10 years so sunlight of ne kind is a bit of a novelty for me, and ya coffee in a pint mug for me user added image

O BTW i just say your profile and i use slackware and kick ass at Medal of Honor Allied Assault, iv also been known to have the odd beer for medicinal purposes of course :p

# 11 28-09-2002 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber
I'd been meaning to ask, are the SM servers running Linux ?

# 12 28-09-2002 , 12:19 AM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by badbunny
I'd been meaning to ask, are the SM servers running Linux ?

Yes all 4 run linux personally i wouldn't touch a windows server, IIS more like LOL.

I have used both 2k and nt server b4 but for webservers i just find Linux + apache far more stable the up time is better as well

David user added image