Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-11-2002 , 11:14 AM

Help With Beveling

Help,

I have beeing playing around with the Edit Polygon -->> Bevel command (standard command i know) in Maya and have been having trouble with it, if someone could write a really small mini tut on how to properly bevel polygons i would REALLY appreciate it. Or just a quick thwap to the head and a correction of what i am doing wrong. But basically my model always ends up screwed up after i use bevel on a single face that i want to bevel. Alright thanks guys.

Cheers,
Imperator

# 2 18-11-2002 , 12:48 PM
Hello, Imperator

The attribute I´ve found messes up my models most is the Offset value. This one should be the one you should be paying attention to. Try really low values first and work them up from it. Also be on the lookout for non-manifold geometry since it won´t bevel.
  • Try really low values for the bevel´s offset value (in the order of 0,0002 and such) -works pretty great for me-
  • Roundness value depends on personal preferences.
  • Segments also depends on personal preferences (although one or two faces are normally enough)

Hope this little bit helps...

# 3 18-11-2002 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
You may want to bevel selectivly, by chosing the edges of your choice and then do the bevel action.

You would want to chose several edges in one bevel-action, to get a good result.

And...

If you use the "edit polygons" --> Normals-->"soft/hard edges" after picking several edges for smoothing, you may (of what I have learned) get some wierd results (or maybe I simply messed it up), but if you choose the edges selectivly, and chose the right ones, you get to smooth the edges perfect.

This is not a perfect answer but, I hope this is of some help for the moment.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 18-11-2002 , 05:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
The soft/harden edges has a slider that will control the maximum angle that will soften, but it can be easier just to pick the edges you want.

# 5 19-11-2002 , 09:11 AM
This is the first file i am attaching, it shows the cube i am going to do a polygonal bevel on, and then the second one will show you what happens when i do a bevel with an offset of 0.0001.

If anyone can tell me what i am doing wrong, please do user added image sorry for such a noob question being asked here.

Thanks,
Imperator

# 6 19-11-2002 , 09:12 AM
Part 2 user added image

# 7 19-11-2002 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
It looks like you have selected the face on the first pic.

I use the bevel tool after I pick either an polygon-object OR one/several edges on an object.

I dont think you can bevel faces.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 8 20-11-2002 , 10:41 PM
Nope, i selected the top four polygon edges, when you try to bevel a face it tells you that you cant do that, you can only bevel polygonal edges user added image. So any ideas on how to fix this guys? I am just trying to work through each modelling skill and get them down pat before i work on any actual work and get lost in it user added image. Thanks.

Cheers!,
Imperator

# 9 20-11-2002 , 11:01 PM
Supreme Being
imperator.. the pic you attached looks as if the offset is too big..
try changin' the offset after the bevel, through the channel box.. user added image ..