Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-09-2008 , 05:18 PM

Ngozi Nigerian Girl - Some Nudity

Hello guys!

It's been a while since I've posted here. School has kept me very busy. I modeled this girl Ngozi (Nn-Guh-Zee) for my upcoming rigging art test. I have to get her approved by my teacher before I can use her, and I was hoping to get some C&C before I show him.
She was inspired by a Nigerian dance team I saw and as such I will be rigging her to be a dancer. Her hair will hopefully be done in Maya hair so that's why she's still bald user added image Please feel free to point out anything you feel is off or request closeups of parts of her body!

Thank you.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by Hoshi87; 18-09-2008 at 10:54 AM.
# 2 14-09-2008 , 11:59 PM
yea rep Nigeria (im not from there btw) nice work but her eyes are a bit too far apart, and the lips need some more work.

# 3 15-09-2008 , 12:12 AM
Thanks for your reply. I'll work on getting her eyes closer together. I've always had problems with lips...I'll work on those as well.

# 4 15-09-2008 , 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Definitely not a body type I see a lot in CG imagery, which is cool to see. There is some weirdness in the mesh though, some folds (around the underarms, under the nose and around the ankles),dents (the breast area) and boxy areas (the hands and shin/calf muscles especially). The corners of the mouth just kinda sit on the face, they should blend into it.

- Genny
# 5 15-09-2008 , 12:21 AM
Thanks very much. I'm glad I have some things to work on. The folds around ankles and underarms are supposed to be wrinkles but I guess they're too pronounced...I'll work on that, thanks user added image

# 6 16-09-2008 , 02:04 AM
Update: Tweaked parts of her body like her hands, underarm area, legs, and breasts. Worked on her face and added lacrimals to eyes and eyelashes with paintfx. My first time using paintfx so still playing around with it.

user added image

user added image

# 7 18-09-2008 , 10:55 AM
Added some hair. Decided to make cornrows with geometry and just do ponytail in maya hair. Not too satisfied with it at the moment, seems too limp...

user added image

user added image

# 8 18-09-2008 , 11:58 AM
nice job - really like this model a lot. not sure if i'm buying the area around the knees though - i think they might be a bit high and i also think the muscles in the upper leg might have a bit more mass.

good job. user added image

# 9 18-09-2008 , 03:31 PM
Thanks arran user added image

As for the knees, I took off her dress and noticed my knees are WAY higher than they should be. I don't know how that happened, maybe when I fixed her calves I screwed up her knees...and her thigh was much shorter than it should've been. Thanks for pointing that out!