Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-01-2011 , 09:00 PM

New to maya and forum

hey!! i wanna ask few questions, i want to start learning maya can any1 give me a good guide for total biggners or a site where i can start learning?

# 2 20-01-2011 , 09:44 PM
Lifetime Member
You are already here...LOL check out the video tutorials...lots of stuff in there. It depends on what you want to learn really....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 21-01-2011 , 03:26 PM
Best thing I did was get a video tutorials. Then go over to books when you have the basics.

# 4 21-01-2011 , 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
As Bullet pointed out, you're already where you need to be. Also, the community here is pretty helpful, and judgment free user added image

- Genny
# 5 21-01-2011 , 05:13 PM
The Nurb Herd

Also, the community here is pretty helpful, and judgment free user added image

i'll be the judge of that.

# 6 21-01-2011 , 10:22 PM
Lifetime Member
The Dom has spoken!

As Genny said, this is a damn good site, has all of the goods and lots of honest/helpful people in the community. I would check out a free tut...get the feel of it then head into the modelling section and do something like a low poly character to get the hang of the workflow. Or try the Spitfire tutorial which offers a large range of functions used in Maya and also UV mapping and texture techniques mate...thats the one that opened my eyes quite a bit and not too hard to do. The model is fairly simple and an aeroplane is pretty much I think an easier subject as we all kinda know what they look like.

cheers bullet

Attached Images

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 24-01-2011 , 08:13 AM
Maya: So you bought Maya or are you working with the PLE? Go through the tutorials, find other tutorials online but don't get too bogged down. Find a focus and stick with that for awhile. Look for projects, stuff you can create, things that have beginning and an end. Up the complexity as you see fit. You will not become a Maya generalist lickity-split, so find a spot 1st. I started with Maya 6 after having Lightwave 7.5 for several months. In reality I probably should have just stuck with Lightwave. I was "granted" a Maya license (long story) and when I determined it wasn't going to be perpetual I crammed, bought a couple of books and some of the training DVDs from what was then the Alias/Wavefront website and got all tied up in intricacies, nuances and all sorts of extra crap, like Python, I really didn't need to know about at that point. Big mistake but it taught me to how to slow down.