Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 17-03-2003 , 08:07 PM
Hey all .. Great to see the board is back online. I have been working some on the model while waiting for the board and here is the result.

The sky is hand painted in Photoshop, the rest is Maya. All textures on the body is painted in Maya's 3D paint. Its my first try at painting in Mayas 3D paint, and I think I succeeded pretty well. When you first get the hang of it, and work out a technique its great, I only miss the layer function you have in photoshop.

I am still working on the scenery, and im not quite satisfied with it yet, but even tho the colors of the image is quite bright I feel that I am getting in the right direction and aiming for a dark vision in the image.

The dry grass is PaintFX. The large stone he is pulling still need some work on the textures, but thats just something more to be finetuned.

For once I have made my textures large enough to be able to do a high res rendering. I always seem to make my textures too small, but not this time.

I would appreciate if you guys came up with some ideas for more interest for the scenery.. I have been fighting all day with Quark Xpress Documents that wouldn't print properly, so my brain has kind of stopped comming up with ideas at the moment, so please if you have any ideas ???

More will come.

# 32 17-03-2003 , 08:46 PM
Just testing if the signature works on the board user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 33 17-03-2003 , 08:57 PM
I am really liking your stuff! Looks great!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 34 17-03-2003 , 09:02 PM
Thanks alot, it means alot to hear that.. I am really happy to see all those positive comments.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 35 17-03-2003 , 09:18 PM
It really is a unique piece of work. I like how you made the ripped off pieces red. Nice touch..user added image
Brian
Is this part of an animation, or just a still image?

Please check
My (old) website!
# 36 17-03-2003 , 10:10 PM
Kevin
awesome work caligraphics! so different and so unique!! very nice

# 37 17-03-2003 , 10:32 PM
Currently its just a still image, maybe an animation will be made later .. I wont promise anything. I have the ideas for it tho, but time is an issue and making an animation of this complexity will require tremendeous amount of time for a single person.

It will require that I cut down a great deal on my expectations and the vision I have about the animation. But maybe I will get a brain fart and do it .. who knows user added image (sorry for the choice of words)

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 38 18-03-2003 , 08:35 AM
LOL, it has just come to my attention that the word Byrden, should be spelled Burden user added image - ohh well , no harm done..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 39 18-03-2003 , 10:56 PM
Okay, I have been slacking today .. I took the evening off from Maya and played some EverQuest. But anyway .. I managed to make some updates.

The PaintFX grass has been modified, and I started texturing the stone more properly..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 40 19-03-2003 , 06:22 AM
wooooow!!!! that's so cool!!!

# 41 19-03-2003 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
One minor thing caligraphics, unless his willie is swinging from walking shouldn't it be pointing downwards along with his other bits?

Apart from that it is indeed a unique and well executed peice of work! I will look forward to seeing it animated if you do decided to do that.

NO! IT'S NOT COS I WANT TO SEE HIS WILLIE SWING EITHER IN CASE ANYONE WAS THINKING THAT!!!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 42 19-03-2003 , 10:24 AM
LOL

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 43 19-03-2003 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
looking great calligraphics user added image Its a very intersting piece u have put together. As for something to add to it...I was thinking maybe u could add a vulture or two lurking in the distance feeding of bits of flesh that fall from the man (if u can call him that). Or maybe you could just have them circling overhead, waiting for the moment he falls, kinda like the expectation of death...

Anyway...top work mate!

# 44 19-03-2003 , 01:47 PM
I have actually been thinking of that, but I took a day off from modelling yeterday, so I never got that far, but funny you should mention vultures user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 45 19-03-2003 , 01:51 PM
Kevin
Burden spelling error fixed user added image