Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-05-2003 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon

Apart from cubes this is the first thing I’ve modelled without the help of a tutorial so don’t expect a great deal.

# 2 05-05-2003 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber

bladed weapon

If anyone knows how to make a decent texture for the blade it would help.

# 3 05-05-2003 , 08:09 PM
looks nice man...u might want to smooth it a bit to get rid of that sharpness .. just go to Polygons >Smooth

as for texture ... you can just download it from the web..there are so many sites..you can try https://www.zoorender.com/

# 4 05-05-2003 , 09:53 PM
You can try the VIP sword texturing tutorial.

# 5 05-05-2003 , 10:41 PM
Simply Maya OG
I like the design of it. Very nice!

- Hybrid
# 6 07-05-2003 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon

It's still not textured as i'm having a go at the VIP sword tutorials first, but i put some 3 point lighting in (my first time at that too). It'll still take a couple of days to get it finished though as i'm busy getting all my course work in for school.

# 7 07-05-2003 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
My attempt at the sword modelling tutorial. i'm halfway through texturing this now so I should have my own blade textured for 2moro.

# 8 08-05-2003 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon

Finally textured the blade. user added image

# 9 09-05-2003 , 01:00 PM
That looks really good, I love the blade texture looks very used and worn which is excellent.

What I would point out to you is that the blades seem to intersect each other in the render (especially on the bottom part) You may want to think about how those might actually be connected in real life.

The seems to be a problem where the brown part meets the metal at the top as well. Kinda looks like a lighting problem so it should be easy to fix.

You may want to try some GI for this I think it would make it look even better than it does now.

Great work keep it up and lets see some more updates user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 10-05-2003 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon

This is the first time I’ve textured anything and want to paint the grip in photoshop but i don’t know how you take a UV Snapshot to paint?

# 11 10-05-2003 , 05:49 PM
You need to do UV projections and then use the UV texture editor to take the snapshot.

Select the faces you want to paint e.g. the top ones then go to the orthographic viewport that lets you seem flat on.

Then go to edit polygons>>texturing>>Planar Mapping (options box) and select Mapping direction "from camera". then click project.

Then go to window uv Texture editor and you should now see the faces that were projected. You can then repeat this process as necessary and then edit the UVs into a flat image and then use the UV snapshot thingy to get the picture to paint.

There are loads of tutorials (video ones on this site!) to find a better explanation of this process.

Alan

IMDB
# 12 13-05-2003 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon

I haven't got much more done as i've had loads of school work to get finished. I've fixed the lighting problem and started to texture the grip, it still needs a bump map and to be made darker to give it and old and worn effect. I'm still working on how stop the blades looking like they intersect each other. Also i want to put some engravings down the blade but don't know what the best way to do it would be.

# 13 13-05-2003 , 08:16 PM
there's a thread in the newbies and basics forum about the writing done in lord of the rings (on the ring itself) do a search on that forum and you should find it I think it was called "The Ring" or something like that.

I preffered your old blade texture it looked way better, it looked much more realistic, now you can see somesort of a cloud or something on this one

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 14 13-05-2003 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber

Blade Texture

Yeah, i think i preffered the old texture but i forgot to save after i rendered that image and lost it so i had to start on the textures again. I'll try and get it back to how it was. user added image

# 15 14-05-2003 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber

Bladed Weapon.

Small update. The lighting for this render is all wrong but i haven't got time to redo it tonight.