Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-04-2003 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber

deleting face from NURBS object

Hello All,

A really simple question.

How come I can't delete faces from a NURBS object.

I'm following along some tutorials on creating a NURBS head. I created a NURB sphere with 12 sections and 6 spans. Then it asked me to 'cut the head in half'.., I'm not sure how to do so. I know how to do it with polygon but having problem with NURBS. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,
TC

# 2 01-04-2003 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
Choose an isoparm where you want it cut in half.. then go to modelling menuset > Edit NURBS > Detach Surfaces

and now you can delete the half you didnt want user added image

hope it helps you

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 3 01-04-2003 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Thank you rotbol. It DID worked.

TC

# 4 01-04-2003 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
Rotbol,

I got it to work but how do you delete just a face?

I've tried doing the same way as I would when deleting a polygon face but then I got this error 'Error: Detach: Select point on curve or isoparm on surface to do detach.' Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong? The face I tried to delete is in yellow.

Thanks,
TC

# 5 01-04-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
hm thats a tricky one.. im still just a newbie and im not that experienced with Nurbs just yet...

First of all. Nurbs do not have faces, its a polygon thing.. the "face" you have selected in your picture is a surface patch wich is a completely different thing. I honestly dont know the difference, so i cant explain it for you.. i might read up on it though.. i could be in the same situation one day hehe user added image

Now on to your problem:
I would think you'd have to detach along the isoparms surrounding the surfacepatch, delete the surface patch and then attach back together, but there could be other ways to do it.

hope i helped just a bit user added image

oh btw.. could you please post images in jpg or gif format. my browser cant show bmp images and besides they tend to be quite big filesize (yours where trimmed well though)

good luck on your modelling user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 6 01-04-2003 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber
Yes, I wanna know the use of "surface patch" as well.

To delete just one you need to detach the isoparm around it ?

Kühl
# 7 01-04-2003 , 07:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
Nurbs are made of curves, while polygons are created using points. In order to maintain curve geometry, you aren't able to simply delete a surface patch with Nurbs. You have to manually cut along isoparms to maintain the 4-sided geometry that is required for a nurbs object to exist... hence the need for patch modeling when using Nurbs. With polygons, because the geometry is being constructed with multiple point coordinates, deleting a single (or multiple) face(s) doesn't deconstruct the entire object.

# 8 01-04-2003 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber
weee Mike to the rescue user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk