Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-06-2003 , 02:51 PM

Photoshop Texturing.

Could anybody tell me how I should go about texturing an object in photoshop after I have my model unwrapped. I know absolutely nothing about photoshop, and I wanted to know the best way to texture in it.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 2 26-06-2003 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
This might not be the best way, but it's how I do it. It works well with characters.

First, make sure you have a clean material assigned to your object. Select your object and choose Rendering Menu>Texturing>3D Paint Tool options box. In here, assign your object a texture. 512x512 is good. This assigns a file texture to your object's material - hence why I wanted you to assign a clean material to your object otherwise the file texture would have been assigned to the default lambert1. Now you can paint on your object. Usually, I use common colors like red, green, and blue to paint arround the lips, eyes, nose, etc defining the position of everything. This can be done with any object of course.

After you have drawn a little on the object, choose Save Textures in the 3D Paint tool options window. This saves the texture you just painted as an image file. Now, open Photoshop, locate that particular image, and do whatever you want with it. Since you painted around specific features on your model, you know exactly where these features' texture spots are on the image file which makes it easy to modify them.

Where you go from there is up to you. I once took a front shot of my face, modified it a bit, and stuck it on the image file. Since I had the nose, eyes, and ear spots identified on the image file already, it was extremely easy to align my facial shot to where it should have been.

Common problems - If you can't paint on your object, you need to remap your uv's. UV's must be in the zero to one range for you to be able to paint.

Also, once you have your image the way you want in Photoshop, all you have to do is save it, then load that image file onto your object. Be careful with targas though as a transparency thing will be automatically mapped to your material. Just right-click "transparency" and choose "break connection" if this happens.

Hope this helps some.

# 3 26-06-2003 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
i wonder though, if you have no idea about photoshop, why do you have the program?

doing a texture in photoshop is the same as making an image in photoshop. if you save as tiff it even has transparency in the file (if you painted transparency).

an easy color by numbers would be to save a uv snapshot import as layer in ps, and color it out.

# 4 26-06-2003 , 04:27 PM
DarkWare: Thanks. That is a great Idea.

Babyduck: I got it because I knew it would be the best way to do texturing.

# 5 26-06-2003 , 04:32 PM
Ok. I think I need to rephrase my question. Basically what I want to know is how to put this image in photoshop and paint "through" it onto a white canvas, so that i can see the lines while i paint, but i dont know how to do this. I am pretty sure it uses layers, but it would be nice if someone could tell me exactly how to do this.

Attached Images

# 6 26-06-2003 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Create another layer. Position it underneath the layer with those white-lined boxes. Take the erase tool, set opacity to 50%, set your brush size to like 200 pixils, and go over your image. This will make the boxes partially transparent. Now, select your other layer and do whatever you want to it. You will be able to paint on the white surface only and still see the boxes.

As of now, I can't give you a better explaination than that since my Maya computer just overheated.

# 7 26-06-2003 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
Photoshop is, imho, almost as complex as Maya- it's easy to open and muck about with, but hard to master. I look at some work by people like Mike and Kurt here on the whole texturing front and gape. PS is not a basic paint programme. I have had it a while and am only at the basic stage with it. I bought a book ( Adobe's Photoshop 7, Classroom in a book) and worked my way through the tutorials in that and I still don't know half of it.

In terms of texturing while 'seeing' the uv map I usually duplicate the background and bring that layer to the front as a transparency, then create and paint on other layers as they lie behind it, then rearrange the layers afterwards. I map out the tga on a grid background. Layers are the key to getting decent results really.

These tutorials might be helpful as a starter and to give you some ideas, but PS takes some work to get to grips with.

Of course I might just be a slow learner.

https://faq.ozoneasylum.com/FaqWiki/s...&sortby=rating

https://www.handson.nu/

https://www.planetquake.com/polycount...utorials.shtml

https://www.poopinmymouth.com/process...ess_page_5.htm

https://leigh.cgcommunity.com/making_...armour_pg1.htm

(last one is great)

I'd advise you to search for some basic PS tutorials on the web.

You could also take a look at Kurt's new paint tut here- well worth playing with.

It's worth getting into PS though- it's a lot of money to spend on a programme if you are not going to get the most out of it. And with most of these things you only get out what you put in imho.

# 8 26-06-2003 , 05:07 PM
Yes I figured it out on my own.

Darkware: Yes, you could do it that way, but it is more convenient to go into blending options for that layer and set the opacity to 50%.

Witchy: Thanks. I will keep using photoshop, because now that i can do it, it is very easy for me to create textures.

# 9 26-06-2003 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by drknow
Yes I figured it out on my own.

Darkware: Yes, you could do it that way, but it is more convenient to go into blending options for that layer and set the opacity to 50%.

convienient is different for each person. for me more convinient would be to place the black and white layer down and place the paint layer above. then setting the layer you paint on to multiply and you see the black as black and the white as the painting. if it is wrong, then just invert the black and white pictue. you have solid and clear black lines and no half transparent white.

but everybody his own way to do something. if you state this is more convenient, then please say that it is for you user added image

# 10 26-06-2003 , 07:39 PM
You dont even have to go into blending options. At the top of your layer palet, if you have it out, are two sliders. One for fill, on for opacity. In this case, makeing either one %50 would work, although fill isnt realy ment for that. I would also suggest inverting your image with the lines. Image>Adjustment>Invert, or Crtl+i.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 11 27-06-2003 , 06:01 AM
Oh. Thanks for the tips guys.

BabyDuck: You live to contradict me.