Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-08-2007 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber

maya 8.5 file in earlier version?

Is it possible to take a scene made in 8.5 and open it in an earlier version, like 6.5? For now I need to go back to 6.5 because my graphics card isn't supported by 8.5 and I get a lot of errors and it doesn't let me use the hardware render but I could in 6.5. I'm in the process of saving up for a new graphics card but until then I'd like to be able to use maya and not have a bunch of errors.

# 2 07-08-2007 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Mike,

unfortunately it's not possible to open Maya 8.5 files in earlier versions.

Hope you manage until you get your new card,

Mat.

# 3 07-08-2007 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
I think the MA. Extension is cross version?
I could be wrong, Good Luck user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 4 07-08-2007 , 08:34 AM
You need to save the scene in the Maya ASCII format and then go into a text editor and change any references to 8.5 in the header to 6.5. That should work provided that you don't have any 8.5 specific stuff in the scene.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 07-08-2007 at 08:46 AM.
# 5 07-08-2007 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
I could attempt it... it shouldn't be too long, but I've already gone about a month without really using maya that much. Thanks for your help

# 6 14-09-2007 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
You need to save the scene in the Maya ASCII format and then go into a text editor and change any references to 8.5 in the header to 6.5. That should work provided that you don't have any 8.5 specific stuff in the scene.

I just wanted to thank you, it worked out well. This will definitely get me by until I get my new power supply in, it'll be weird to actually use maya again, it's been like 2 months
thanks again