Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-02-2012 , 11:44 AM

Hey I just noticed this!

I just realized that when using polygons with smoothing (3 key), that you get a sub-D type smoothing except on outside edge corners, see illustration. I understand that this may just be the way it is in Maya, but it's not what I'm used to.

user added image

Normally if I want sharp corners I would add more divisions.

The other thing is that this sharp cornering will disappear if I give that object thickness, behaving once more as I would expect it.

Should I just ignore this and accept it, I think the same thing happens in XSI.

# 2 23-02-2012 , 02:10 PM
From the looks of your geo, I would think those corners should be curved as well. How did you create that geo?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 23-02-2012 , 02:19 PM
Just a polygon plane with (3 key) smoothing. I also made a poly cube, smoothed it, it went like a ball, then I deleted faces off it until there was one face left, and that last face popped into a perfect square. So it seems to be happening to planar non-dimensional poly objects.

# 4 23-02-2012 , 03:21 PM
To smooth you need 3 edges not verts. Only interior verts will change position, corner verts are pinned. None of the corner verts are really smoothing (in the sense that you are thinking of it). I am recording something for you now to clarify things.

Standbye....

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 23-02-2012 at 05:01 PM.
# 5 23-02-2012 , 03:52 PM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 23-02-2012 , 08:11 PM
Hmm, doesn't work like that for me. Left is 1 on keyboard and right is 3 on keyboard. Am I missing something?

I also created a cube, press 3 and it was ball. I deleted 3 faces and I got perfectly round face. Pressed 1 and it went to square face.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 23-02-2012 , 11:22 PM
As I recall there is an option to change the smoothing behavior that releases the corner boundary verts from being pinned. You may have turned that on.

Or maybe the default behavior has changed between versions of maya, although I doubt this as I have been using maya since version 1.x and I always remember smooth working as I showed in the video. What version of Maya are you using? I am pretty sure that you have changed the default behavior though.

You might try renaming (do not delete) your maya preferences folder and then reopening maya and see if smoothing a square poly plane rounds. If it does then I have no idea why it is working that way on your system perfecto. I am pretty confident that is not the default behavior though.

Last edited by ctbram; 23-02-2012 at 11:59 PM.
# 8 23-02-2012 , 11:47 PM
19 year Veteran
Maya version 1.x must have been a bloody nightmare to navigate through.

I wish Alias was still developing Maya.

# 9 23-02-2012 , 11:52 PM
Confirmed. I renamed my preferences folder and the behavior is as I show in the video so I am now 99.9% sure that you switched on that is causing non-standard behavior when pressing the smooth preview key. I searched for a little bit but did not find anything though to explain why. But I am certain that the default behavior is as shown in the video.

If anyone knows what the switch is to allow the corner boundary verts to smooth please post a reply.

Last edited by ctbram; 23-02-2012 at 11:55 PM.
# 10 24-02-2012 , 12:17 AM
I just bought a new computer and loaded Maya on it. I haven't modified anything. I deleted prefs folder just to be sure and it still smooths the corners. I also loaded Maya 2009 on a laptop and tested it out and it does same thing, smooths the corners. It might be a version thing.

Exceed Expectations!
# 11 24-02-2012 , 12:54 AM
I might be a version thing perfecto. I never ran version 9. I went from 8.5 to 10 and so it could be that.

I would be interested to know now though because I have version 10,11, and 12 on different machines even and it works like in my video.

So if anyone out there is watching this thread chime in.

# 12 24-02-2012 , 03:17 AM
Lifetime Member
I found it he he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 24-02-2012 , 03:27 AM
@perfecto: Okay, it was driving me crazy but bullet found the switch perfecto.

I knew it should have been in the polyshape attributes under Smooth Mesh but that tabs has TWO subtabs and I hate the way you cannot tell if a tab is a subtab so I did not see the damn Extra Controls subtab. Well I saw it but did not realize it was a subtab of Smooth Mesh.

Select an object goto polyshape Smooth Mesh > Extra Controls Boundary Rules and the default should be "crease all". I am betting you have somehow turned on "crease edge" (see the screen captures). This is why on your system the boundary corner verts are unpinned.

I checked on a couple different versions of Maya, on a couple different machines, and also asked bullet to check a couple hiw his systems and the default appears to be "crease all". Not sure how you flipped it to crease edges unless you went into the settings and preferences but that should have been cleared when you renamed the my documents maya folder or when you did a fresh install.

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 24-02-2012 , 03:36 AM
By the way the first place I looked was in the Smooth Mesh tab of the poly surface node. I did not see that the "extra controls" was a subtab of the Smooth Mesh tab because maya does nothing to indicate subtabs. They should be indented! to me it just looked like "Extra controls" was a main tab and since I opened all the main tabs first I did not open it.

So I blame poor ui design. I spent several hours scratching my head trying to understand how perfecto was unpinning the boundary verts and I was in the right place right at the start!

Last edited by ctbram; 24-02-2012 at 03:41 AM.
# 15 24-02-2012 , 03:39 AM
Now the question is: What setting is really best? I tend to lean towards the defaults for just this reason. It only works on your machines and five years from now will you remember what switch you turned on?