Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-03-2007 , 08:33 PM

Illegal Modelling?

I'm working on my third modeling project but after I finish, I want to try modelling something on my own. I was thinking about modeling Rodney from the CGI movie, "Robots". Is there a rule on what we can model and what we can't. I just want to make sure I don't do anything illegal.

# 2 25-03-2007 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
You mean copyright infringement?

I don't think it's illegal to model *anything*, but if you want to use it commercially (even for non-profit, such as a computer game modification) then you probably can't.

Anything to do with George Lucas' property is famous for being killed.

But just modeling for the sake of it, to practice.... don't think there's anything in law to stop you.

user added image

# 3 25-03-2007 , 09:03 PM
I agree. I think pretty much all animated models are protected by copyright. But you are free to model them how much you want, as long as you don't try to sell them or similiar.

Pretty much the same thing as you can draw mickey mouse how much you want, as long as you don't try to make your own comic magazine with him in it user added image

# 4 25-03-2007 , 09:15 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I feel at ease now :-).

I can't do anything commercially anyway. I bought the student edition of 8.5 unlimited. Well, I probably could, but I have a concious.

# 5 25-03-2007 , 09:44 PM

Originally posted by JohnnyFunkweasel
You mean copyright infringement?

I don't think it's illegal to model *anything*, but if you want to use it commercially (even for non-profit, such as a computer game modification) then you probably can't.

Anything to do with George Lucas' property is famous for being killed.

But just modeling for the sake of it, to practice.... don't think there's anything in law to stop you.

user added image

Very true; if you were at the AoA in San Francisco, you'd see some of the amazing things that people have modeled.

Someone (I don't know them personally) has done a 3D version of Michelangelo's Pieta (Pity), someone else has done Captain America, and another did a Captain Jack Sparrow Pirates-Of-The-Carribbean (sp?) model, all of which have a high level of realism.

It only becomes illegal if you try to sell something for money (without a lisence or permission).

# 6 26-03-2007 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by severinianthony
Very true; if you were at the AoA in San Francisco

those models sound pretty cool. sorry for my ignorance but what is AoA? im thinkn if i should check it out next time i head over there.