Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-03-2004 , 04:38 PM

Noob in need of some advice/guidance.

Great site. I'm a noob just starting out and have many questions. However, at the moment I am having an issue with converting triangles to polygons on my poly mesh. I am trying to create a ridge line from the intersection of two objects to a focal point on the forehead. Still new to the application, I am not sure of all that's available to me. I chose split polygon and the result was three triangles (included in first screenie).
user added image

This is the only proposal I could muster ....

user added image

It sure seems like a lot more geometry. Anybody got any other ideas/comments/etc? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bjohnson; 01-03-2004 at 05:45 PM.
# 2 01-03-2004 , 05:04 PM
Kevin
so you trying to delete the edge?

also maybe post jpgs as these bmps took ages to load on my broadband even, and theres a lot of 56 kers here who can help you to

# 3 01-03-2004 , 05:05 PM
Kevin
and btw ...welcome user added image

# 4 01-03-2004 , 05:53 PM

thx

Thanks Kevin. Images converted to jpg. Apologies to all for the inconvenience.

I'm trying to create a ridge along the edges that create those triangles. Eventually this ridge will form the top of a mask which covers the face. At this point, I am trying to stick with 4-sided polygons mostly because most of my research says to do so. :o

# 5 01-03-2004 , 06:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
it's not always possible to efficiently stay with 4-sided, but you want to have as few n-sided as you can.

# 6 01-03-2004 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
n-sided?

# 7 01-03-2004 , 06:38 PM
more than four

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 01-03-2004 , 07:13 PM
mtmckinley wrote:

it's not always possible to efficiently stay with 4-sided, but you want to have as few n-sided as you can.

Thanks for the response. At this point, I don't believe I have any n-sided (>4). In hindsight, I just assumed quad only. Never occured to me to use both quads and triangles. :o Any disadvantages with this approach?