Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 151 07-08-2003 , 06:45 PM
Did you code the C++ yourself?
If so, i'd be very interested to see how it all connects to Maya. maybe you could post a small snippet of the source

I really like the DOF in the last one by the way.

________

- Jacob
# 152 07-08-2003 , 07:06 PM
yeah I did the C++ the only thing is that the C++ doesnt directly connect to maya. The c++ dumps out a txt file which is then read into maya. I can upload that script if you're interested?

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 153 07-08-2003 , 07:43 PM
yeah thatd be great if you dont mind

________

- Jacob
# 154 07-08-2003 , 08:39 PM
ok here's the script, it's not well commented at all so you'll have to try and digest what you can from it. At no point in this did I say my MEL was good (remember that!!) user added image but feel free to ask me questions about it.

Alan

Attached Files
File Type: mel spiderload12.mel (3.9 KB, 146 views)

IMDB
# 155 07-08-2003 , 08:41 PM
hah thats ok. I havent learned a bit of mel, but I've heard the syntax is similar to C++? which I know enough of, so i should be able to struggle my way through it.

thanks

________

- Jacob

Last edited by Blinn; 07-08-2003 at 08:46 PM.
# 156 07-08-2003 , 08:48 PM
yeah really similar to c++ in fact it's a little easier cause you can do stuff like declare a variable and let maya work out it's type for you.

e.g. in C++

int myVar = 1;

MEL:

$myVar = 1;

those would give the same result. The "$" get REALLY annoying when you forget to put them in and you cant figure out your errors. Oh and the interface and debugging are shocking to say the least!!!

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 157 07-08-2003 , 08:54 PM
Hmm sounds interesting.
Does Mel have soemthing like the C++ STL?
Or do you have to write everything?

I hate to say it, but I'm used to programming in Vb now, (i know, vb,). But I had to program my final project for a school course in it.

________

- Jacob
# 158 07-08-2003 , 09:13 PM
nothing that I know of, but then you dont really need it I dont think. Maya has built in vectors etc so you should be ok. And if you found yourself needing those sort of things then it mite be time to start looking towards c++ or a similar language. MEL is very powerful but it can only take you so far if you know what I mean.

Alan

IMDB
# 159 07-08-2003 , 09:42 PM
yeah that makes sense, i was wondering about vectors. glad they are built in.

________

- Jacob
# 160 07-08-2003 , 10:07 PM
How are you doing that dof??? Is it a gradient blur or does it have something to do with zdepth

edit: sorry, I didnt read before I posted. I see now.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 161 09-08-2003 , 05:54 AM
Wow. That animation looks really nice. Im interested in learning MEL. I know C/C++ and assembler really well and now i need to put my knowledge into use with Maya. Whats a good MEL book that you would suggest for me? (Like a C/C++ > MEL or something)

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 162 09-08-2003 , 10:36 AM
One of the people on this board (Mark Williams) has written a book about MEL for programmers. He always hangs out in the MEL scripting forum. Ask him about his book, or head out and take a look at it in the bookstore user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 163 09-08-2003 , 03:17 PM
right it's done! user added image I know it's not perfect and I know that there's a million and one things wrong with it but I've gotta leave it now cause I have other stuff to be getting on with now.

A MASSIVE thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread and helped me with the project. It's been fun but it's also been a major pain in the ar*e. But it's been a great learning experience for me. So user added image for everyone! user added image

you can get the final file at: https://www.alanwoods.co.uk/files/spi...0x576_Divx.avi (about 6megs)

Once again guys thanks the 2000+ views and 100+ replies really pays testament to the commitment of everyone on the site! SM rules! :headbang:

Alan

IMDB
# 164 13-08-2003 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
sick! i hope ya get an A+ dude!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 165 13-08-2003 , 01:38 AM
Pure, do you have any idea as to how long the Art based Computer Animation MA is? Is it the same as the Msc one...1 year?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....