Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 15-01-2004 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
What does this piece look like? It rings no bells with me whatsoever.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 62 15-01-2004 , 02:37 PM
It's very small... the size of a small gem. It's black with the writing "SS12' on it in white. And it has a cople of metal looking piecces on the bottom of it. Not really square. Check on any NF7 mobo. You'll see several on there like it. Hope that helps. user added image Thanks.

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 63 15-01-2004 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
Sounds like a capacitor or a diode....not good news. If that is the case, then I'm sorry to have to say that your motherboard is now an ex-motherboard... user added image

You can only hope the distributor will accept the RMA.

# 64 15-01-2004 , 07:24 PM

Figures... :(

I'll call them this afternoon and see what they can do. At the very least, I can always dispute the charge and buy my part somewhere else. Dirty pool to be certain but that's life. Thanks Huxley. If they can't help, should I try to see if the mobo will work anyway?

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 65 15-01-2004 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber

Hmmmm

Hmm Sorry but I may be bad news....

Ok I just read this and am a bit worried about the part that read - "The Room stank to high heaven" after you started your PC - well that means that somehow you "Burned" High temperature silicon .... which is basically designed not to burn - but to make a good thermal conductor between the CPU and Heatsink... Now "If" you spread it thick enough and turned the PC on - it would sort of bubble and boil (And maybe? stink?) - But spread no heat to the Heatsink - ??? Hope it's not that... But if it's dead..? Room Stank?

Sounds Bad - Like New CPU job... IMHO

Regards and fingers crossed i'm wrong Scraggy

# 66 16-01-2004 , 03:39 AM
Hey Scraggy...

What basically happened was I put too much on the core but the core wasn't damaged - no scorched marks or any of that. I've shown it to several people and they said it was fine. That smell was partially that new fan smell. My biggest problem to date has been my motherboard, which I can now report that I got my RMA number and that POS will be replaced within two weeks. I'm so happy. user added image Scraggs, I'll let you know if the CPU is in bad shape and if it doesn't work. Thanks for your concern tho. user added image BTW, when I disassembled my CPU and HSF away from the MOBO, there were no new bad marks or scorches on the CPU or HSF. I was relieved. Okay, gotta run. Thanks, as usual, guys! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 67 16-01-2004 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
That is good news. user added image All the best in getting it going...

Scraggy

# 68 06-02-2004 , 03:04 AM

Update!

I'll make this short and sweet. I sent off my motherboard about three weeks ago to be RMAed and I'm still waiting for my replacement. So far, it's in Rialto, CA and it's supposed to be in Sioux Falls, SD by Saturday (yeah, right... with over 19' of snow on the ground, I'd like to see THAT happen!) I have a friend who builds computers that is going to help me put mine together when I get the parts. I just bought a DVD burner for $129 with a $50 MIR so it's basically a $79 dual format burner. It really rocks! Actually works on a 5 year old eMachines 533 MHz POS! LOL! That's about all for now. Gotta go to bed so I can get up early to go to my crap job just after I shovel myself out of another inch or 20 of snow. LOL!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 69 06-02-2004 , 12:46 PM
Subscriber
Talk about RMA blues... I sent my Quadro gfx card back to the vendor on the 16th of Jan (a French outfit called LDLC) ... I got a receipt and an email telling me that the card would be immediately exchanged but haven't heard a peep since. I'm trying to be a persistant pain-in-the-arse to the vendor in the hope that I'll force them to get a move on.

In the meantime, I bought myself a 256MB GeForce FX-5700 as a stop-gap it's a great card apart from a couple of hardware functions that dont work in Maya.

# 70 08-02-2004 , 11:30 PM
I finally got my mobo and it's the same one but it looks like they fixed it - I'll find out tomorrow when I take it over to a friend's house to have him help me put it all together. He knows what he's doing better than I. Wish me luck, y'all! BTW, please visit my newly revamped site... https://anzwers.org/free/russelltopia... THANKS!!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 71 19-02-2004 , 08:01 PM

Wayyyyy Over Budget but Under Schedule... ;)

Alrighty then! user added image So, my new computer went pretty much WAY over budget but it was worth every penny I spent - multi-format DVD burner for $80 didn't hurt either. But even with 512 MB of PC2700 RAM, it still renders slowly. Not as fast as I'd hoped it would be. I am using an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Core CPU... could that be the culprit? Would rendering with Mental Ray make things render slower? How do you guys optimize your computers to run Maya? I still need to get a 2nd hard drive to run just Maya - I love gaming as well and it may be affecting my using Maya as well. Any takers of this queston? TIA! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 72 19-02-2004 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
Righto, first off congrats on geting it going. I know you had a few problems user added image.

I'm assuming you've still got the NF7 motherboard, i'd try and get the memory running a bit faster, aslong as you've not got a cheapo heatsink i'd try sticking the fsb upto 200mhz from the normal 166. Most Bartons can handle this easily, the problem might be if your memory can't. If not reset bios and try slowly increasing it. Make sure you keep an eye on your cpu temps thou.

Is your memory 1 DIMM or 2? If its two make sure you've got dual channel memory showing when you boot your machine. This gives a nice performance boost.

I would have your main harddrive on the first EIDE cable as Master device and the 2nd harddrive on the second EIDE channel as Master device. With the DVD drive as Slave device on the second cable. This should help minimize any disk bottle necks in your system as much as possible.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the mobo etc installed, this can have a big effect on system performance.

Defrag you hard drives once a week, leave them running when your out or asleep, this will help keep this in top shape.

Hope this helps you a little, if your unsure about anything you should probablly talk to the guy who helped you put it together. Don't mean to be insulting just its probaly the safest way to go about it. If you want to try it i'll make you a picture step by step guide on how to do it.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 73 23-02-2004 , 08:57 AM
Now, how important is graphic kard for workind in maya, I have ati 9200 with 64 md DDR memory, and it works crapy, what card do you mean I should buy??? THX guys

# 74 08-03-2004 , 08:29 PM
Mr. Lonepig, sir... user added image I really have no OC plans for this computer right now. I'm such a klutz I'd end up burning the house down and the car at the same time, not to mention the computer. user added image I defrag just about every other day if not sooner. It just seems to help me out in the long run.

My biggest concern right now it the temp. It keeps running at about 35 degrees Celcius or 95-105 degrees Fahrenheit. I need some fans for the front of my case as soon as I can. My side fan blows out and it was suggested to flip it around to blow inside but the fan really isn't blowing much inside to cool anything. Other than all that, my Russbo 3000 is running pretty well. Now, if I can only figure out how to make mental ray render faster with final gathering and global illumination. LOL! Thanks for all of your help, everyone. This concludes my participation in this thread. user added image Russbo out! :cheeky

Russell:

Russell Bolding
# 75 08-03-2004 , 08:58 PM
your temp just greate, my is abouth 50 celsius when sd-rom is not working, but when I burn cd or play games for long time it goes up to abouth 57, but it is just an AMD so i am not woried user added image, and i just put inside one fan, either you put few of them either don`t put them at all, too mutch nois for not so mutch temp reduce!! It`s just my advice ? if yopu have lot of money buy thermal take case and solwe all your problems in life user added image but 200 euro is not a smal price user added image

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too