Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-01-2004 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber

nVidia GeForce FX5700

I had a problem with my Quadro board this weekend and so am having it repaired/replaced user added image . I expect this will take a few weeks (things happen s-l-o-w-l-y in France).

In the meantime I am thinking of picking up a GeForce FX5700 that I can use as a backup card. Does anyone have any experience with this card and Maya? I will be running dualscreen, so if you have any experience with that please let me know.

Thanks all!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 12-01-2004 , 05:54 PM
I just got the "ultra" version of this card, and it seems fine.

Not sure about the "non-ultra".

There are a few VERY small issues with redraw of the viewports when you "maximize" the viewport.
(workaround: just deselect, then reselect anything)

I made a small mel that does this for me so it is no longer a hassle for me.

Other than that, it ROCKSuser added image

Pretty cheap too, as I picked mine up from newegg.com "Saturday night" for $123.00.

However that sale is over now, and it is back to $191.00 user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 13-01-2004 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
I picked up a 256mb version yesterday from a dealer here in Paris. It's by PixelView and has lots of funky "tuning" features such as a bright blue illuminated fan and all that crap.

Anyway, I plugged it in last night and it runs great. Dual-screen no problem at all. It runs about as fast as the Quadro4-980XGL.

I too get the viewport refresh problem; switching from persp to 4-view and back but it seems a quick play with the timeslider fixes it no problem. Another minor pain is if I have Maya open at the same time as QuickTime and drag a Maya window over the QT window, QT crashes.

Still - it's nice to have both monitors up and running again!

I was thinking that I would sell the FX5700 on eBay when the Quadro is repaired, but I like it so much thatI think I'll hang onto it and build my wifes replacement PC around it.

# 4 30-01-2004 , 08:03 AM
hi,

I've been shopping for a vCard for a new PC and Im trying to pick out one that supports dual-monitors. What characteristic am I looking for that tells me the card in question will support an extended desktop?

For example, Would this work? what would tell me?:

GAINWARD GeForce FX 5600 ULTRA Video Card
Chipset/Core Speed: GeForce FX 5600ULTRA/350MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/700MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+VIVO+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®1.4
Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, VIVO&Power Cables, 3 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@75Hz

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized."
- Daniel Burnham, Chicago architect. (1864-1912)
# 5 30-01-2004 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
Look at the out-ports. A monitor usually uses either a VGA or DVI-D port. So in the case of the FX600, you have a VGA and a DVI connector ... dual monitor support.