Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-02-2007 , 07:54 PM

Problems with maya using polygon boolean difference

I am trying to use polygon > boolean > difference but i am having a problem. The first time i use boolean its fine and i get the hole i want but when i use boolean again on the same polygon object in another area, the whole object just disappears. I've tried deleting history and export, importing it but again no difference. I have also tried freeze transformations but it still won't work. It is still in the outliner but i still can't see it on screen, any help on how to get it visable or how to make it work would be grateful, thanks.

# 2 23-02-2007 , 02:43 AM
yes and no.
you might be able to fix the problem by cleaning up the geometry (polygon -> Cleanup, or something like that) - make sure all the normals are correct, usually no 'holes' in faces, that sort of thing. In addition, it can usually be better to do an intersection instead of a difference.
Unfortunately, if neither of these things work..... you may not be able to do anything about it. Maya occasionally just does this, and I'm not sure why (even with 100% compatible hardware, near as I know).

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 28-02-2007 , 07:17 AM
Mostly, booleans suck, so don't use them. Instead use the split poly tool to cut your hole.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 4 10-03-2007 , 09:17 PM
la cosa es que las interferencias de los verterx deben estar en contacto esto genera una falla o mejor un conflicto en maya y elimina el objeto

# 5 13-03-2007 , 06:03 AM
19 year Veteran

Originally posted by 1200554:
la cosa es que las interferencias de los verterx deben estar en contacto esto genera una falla o mejor un conflicto en maya y elimina el objeto

1200554, this is mainly a english speaking forum, so I translated it to help the others understand what was said. Hope you dont mind.

Tranlasted by THX1138 on 3.13.08:
the thing is that the interferences of verterx must be in contact with the enemy this generates a better fault or a conflict in Mayan and eliminates the object

# 6 22-03-2007 , 02:20 PM
I have also experienced lots of problem when I'm working with booleans on more complexed objects. My advice are that you try to do the boolean operations early in your modeling process, when your model are fairly simple. One funny thing are that if the faces are in the wrong direction difference may work like union, and the opposite. But don't mind to reverse the faces - just try other options until you find the one you want.

# 7 03-04-2007 , 12:39 AM

Boolean function sucks....

Guyzzz m new to dis forum nd entir SITE Really Simply maya rocks...

m facin lotzz of problms vit boolean function ..Can ny 1 plzzz solve dis prob....

# 8 03-04-2007 , 12:42 AM
Lifetime Member

Last edited by jsprogg; 03-04-2007 at 12:46 AM.
# 9 05-04-2007 , 02:41 AM
No actually whin i use to try diffrnce option v hav to select both abjects ryt so aftr applyin difference da whole object is dissappearingg....dats ma prob even same prob vit Union nd intersection...

# 10 08-04-2007 , 02:48 AM
I'm having the exact same problem at the moment and I have tried everything from cleaning the polygons to completely modelling the shape again.

I am thinking of cutting the shape straight out of the model however I have already smoothed the modle that I want the shape cut out from..... does anybody know if I can cut the shape out smoothly??

# 11 08-04-2007 , 05:54 AM
Senior Software Developer
Booleans are great if you can get them to work. I don't really have any issues with them as I try to keep my geo as clean as possible.

As stated before do a clean up, but make sure you have the non-manifold option ticked otherwise it wont show you any of the issues (go into the option box).
Ensure the 2 pieces are intersecting and are complete bits of geo, no holes and no open ends etc...

Other than that you are left with a Poly Combine option and a bit of har work merging and deleteing. Kurt goes through this well in the Cartoon Dog Tutorial on this site.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 12 08-04-2007 , 08:32 AM
would I be able to send my .mb file to somebody to take a look and attempt to decipher what the problem is with my boolean??

# 13 08-04-2007 , 10:23 AM
I can give it a go depending on the version on maya ur using.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 14 08-04-2007 , 06:57 PM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
I can give it a go depending on the version on maya ur using.

Thanks, am using 8.5

# 15 08-04-2007 , 11:16 PM
Cool, post it and I will have a look.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter