Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-08-2003 , 10:48 PM

making eyebrowns with paint effects

I want to make the eyebrowns and the eyelashes of my female caracter with paint effects but i dont know how to do this.
I alredy know something about paint effects but I dont know what would be the best way to do this, maybe you can give me a good link for a web tutorial.
I have alredy make the hair with the paint effects a I would love to get some comments about how it looks, so I'm going to attach an image.

kazama

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kazama; 20-08-2003 at 10:50 PM.
# 2 21-08-2003 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Very nice character head - how did you do the hair?

I'm also interested in good ways to make eyelashes and brows. I wonder if paint fx is the best way to make lashes tho... I made lashes both with paint fx and by modeling them and using a transparency map.

The modeling produced major problems with shadows - tho I believe those can be overcome - while the paintfx version looked great but was super difficult to animate. The paintfx version was made by sprouting hair from a curve detached from the geometry of the eyelid. The problem was the lashes didn't move in unison when the character blinked.

So: I'm interested what kind of solutions people have also user added image

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 3 21-08-2003 , 08:39 AM
...mmh... what I know about paint effects is that you can only paint on nurbs surfaces.
This is what I mae once with paint effects. But converting tu nurbs screwed my model up cuz I don't know anything about nurbs.

user added image

# 4 21-08-2003 , 07:47 PM
Thanks for the coment on the model.
What I did was use make live on the head and draw curves on it and then attach a brush to the curves.
I draw a total of 5 curves on the head.
Then a use the set stroke control curves option to make the hair follow the guides I make.
And then I change a couple of settings in the atribute editor of the strokes and come with the look I was looking for.
But I know that are some others settings that I dont know really what they do and probably will make the hair will look better and much soft.
I attach and image so you can see the curves that make the strokes follow the way I want.
If paint effects is not the best way, what I sould do?
I'm going to trie to make the eyeslashes with a transparency map but I'm not very good at painting textures, but it is something that I want to learn, but in my country there is not a place that I can learn that.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-08-2003 , 07:56 PM
NICE JOB SO FAR!
Great workuser added image

The ever-elusive eyelash...

I think you are going about it the right way, by using control curves, but have you tried fur?

I've heard good things when using fur for short & curlys (hehe..., eyelashes, peachfuzz, etc.

The good thing about fur is the shadowing, the bad thing I've heard, is that it takes longer to render.

The bad thing about PFX is the shadowing, but the good thing is that it is easier to control, and renders SUPA-FASTuser added image

...so it is up to you, as to which detail-route you wish to take for this difficult effect.

Textures, with a subtle hint of PFX and/or Fur would go FAR to adding to realism for a believable brow.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 22-08-2003 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
kazama - I 100% agree with ragecgi that you have done a great job so far! I wouldn't have known that the hair was done with pfx because it looks so soft and full - something I was never able to achieve. I'd love to see your settings.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 7 09-09-2003 , 09:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, the thing is that I'm in vacations right now and I haven't touch the computer in about 3 weeks but here I put the settings of the strokes ( the important ones ).

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 09-09-2003 , 09:46 PM
I also finish the color map for the head with the help of a friend (he is better than me in the painting department).
In the next couple of days I'm gona do the specular map and the bump map.
What do you think about the color map?

kazama
raularosemena@hotmail.com

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 10-09-2003 , 08:19 AM
Subscriber
Holy cow! That hair is amazing. Putting this down as a thread to follow and as a test to do. Great job! Color me impressed.

Great looking head too - colour map seems to suggest a geisha type character. Can't wait to see more! Can we can a frontal and 3/4 shot? I would like to see how she looks in 3d.

# 10 10-09-2003 , 08:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

EyeBrows

Yep thats a tough one!!

You can use fur which does have cool results if you have the time to sit and render tests and paint your baldness, direction and inclination maps in photoshop.

We found that doing them as a map on a poly surface is good enough providing you do them right. I suggest you get a digital camera and take lots of close up photos and mask them out in photoshop, it will save you painting them by hand.

# 11 15-09-2003 , 06:31 AM
I'm going to put the shots that you guy's want but you have to wait me a bit, because I'm on vacations and I can't use the computers on the institute that I study, and all my work is there, and thanks for the coments.(It's really nice to know that people like you guys think that my work is good)
When I have more, I'll show you guys.
Also it is really a good idea to buy a digital camera and start making a good database of textures, when I have the money I'll buy that for sure.

kazama

raularosemena@hotmail.com