Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-07-2006 , 09:48 PM

repeat texture problem

Hi there, I am trying to texture an eye. When i follow the instructions to planar map the image ontot he nurbs eye, i get the texture repating, how do i solve this. Please help.
[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 2 25-07-2006 , 12:14 AM
Since an eye is a sphere, try spherical mapping, it should fix the problem...

# 3 25-07-2006 , 07:29 AM
well i dont understand as look at this where a planar map is used.

user added image

# 4 25-07-2006 , 09:28 AM
Senior Software Developer
Are you applying the texture as Normal or Projection. The Image in the Tutorial is a Projection Texture. That is what the green lined parts are.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 25-07-2006 , 08:20 PM
no - technically he's doing it correctly. His actual problem is that the projection control is too small. The square for the projection control should be larger than the eyeball (look again at the tutorial picture!). To help with this, it might also be good to put the control back at the origin.

But, anyways, because the diameter of the sphere is larger than the sides of the square, the texture repeats. Try making it larger.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 6 26-07-2006 , 07:28 AM
I understand what you are saying but when I expand the aize of the square, in turn it expands the size of the texture mapped on. So instead it becomes more distorted. As it stands the iris and puil as pictured above in my snapshot is the correct size for the eye ball, so I don’t want to stretch it any more.

Please, open maya, do a nurbs sphere, and try to map a circle on it, if you have any luck please tell me step by step.

# 7 26-07-2006 , 07:49 AM
well, that wasn't the way you stated the problem. I don't think there is a way to have the projection control inside the opjects bounding box and not evidence that behaviour. In this case, I'd reccommend making the file larger - add more white around the edges. You'll have to monkey with the projection controls again, but you should be able to get what you want.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 8 26-07-2006 , 10:05 AM
So to clarify, if I just make a bigger texture and project that onto the eye ball it should work fine and not repeat?

# 9 26-07-2006 , 01:56 PM
yea just increase the actual size of your image, but not using image size. use canvas size. you need more blank area around your iris (in the white parts) in order for there to be no repeating. say if your iris is 200X200 and your image size is 512X512, then try increasing your image size to 750X750 (i know it's not a multiple of 256, but does it matter THAT much!?!), but keep your iris the same size of 200X200 in the center... does that make sense?

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 26-07-2006 , 03:42 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
yea just increase the actual size of your image, but not using image size. use canvas size. you need more blank area around your iris (in the white parts) in order for there to be no repeating. say if your iris is 200X200 and your image size is 512X512, then try increasing your image size to 750X750 (i know it's not a multiple of 256, but does it matter THAT much!?!), but keep your iris the same size of 200X200 in the center... does that make sense?

fantastic, thanks.