Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-10-2003 , 07:40 AM

First Start with a Monster

Hi guys,

I'm glad to be logged in this Forum,
this is is the first monster i made with MaYa, not yet complete
but similar to the final version.

# 2 17-10-2003 , 07:46 AM
Here the Shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 17-10-2003 , 08:59 AM
you should post this in the WIP forum not here but I'll give you a crit anyways.

The different parts dont seem to fit together at the joins, they look like separate objects the best exampe of this is between the neck and the torso, you need to think about animals in real life look e.g maybe a tortoise or something like that. The other area that stands out is the eyes not looking like a part of the head. You could bulge the skn area out over the teeth think of how it looks on a crocodile for example.

The skin texture is too similar all over, I would look at adding variation to it. Is it painted or procedural? you could add ridges down the back of the spine and things like that.

Ok that should be enough for you to be getting on with. Dont take my comments too personally this is your first model afterall and we all started somewhere user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 17-10-2003 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
The different parts dont seem to fit together at the joins, they look like separate objects the best exampe of this is between the neck and the torso, you need to think about animals in real life look e.g maybe a tortoise or something like that. The other area that stands out is the eyes not looking like a part of the head. You could bulge the skn area out over the teeth think of how it looks on a crocodile for example.

Hey, don't be too hard on him! His monster beats the pants off my first Maya model! These suggestions are all very true, but they are the sort of things you only start to look for when you've had a bit more experience.

I see great potential here!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 5 17-10-2003 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by -<{ JB }>-
[B]Hey, don't be too hard on him! .......... they are the sort of things you only start to look for when you've had a bit more experience.B]

and how do you expect somebody to notice these things if nobody tells him?? user added image he wasnt that hard and that's called constructive crit. so I dont think Pure_morning was trying to be mean or something

-Emo

# 6 17-10-2003 , 10:08 AM

Comin soon

Ok Thanx 4 critik
soon u'll have a new shot!
I'm new of the forum so the next time i'll post this thread on WIP

# 7 17-10-2003 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Emo
and how do you expect somebody to notice these things if nobody tells him?? user added image he wasnt that hard and that's called constructive crit. so I dont think Pure_morning was trying to be mean or something

I know that Pure_Morning wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I was just pointing out that I don't think the constructive critisism was as helpfull as it would have been if powernemo had already had a bit more experience. I totally agree with Pure_Morning's observations (they're the sort critisisms I like people to point out to me on my own models), but I don't think that someone at this stage of learning should be terribly concerned with such fine techniques and details if they are still getting their head around some of the concepts in Maya.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 8 17-10-2003 , 01:47 PM

Continue to Critic

thanx JB

I think sometimes we are blind about our own creations, we need surely some1 another's "critic" to really open our eyes;
In effect i'm not too new on Maya but most concepts for me are yet unknown, then I did this model and i had presented to you just to have this critic! For this I made some changes to the basic figure it's not ready, cause I've very short time to model but a preview will come soon!

PS. I use the therm "critic" cause I don't know exactly a synonimous on English (i'm italian sorry 4 my language)

# 9 17-10-2003 , 02:11 PM
Subscriber
hey no problem about the italian, we can all tell what you mean.

The proper way to say it, is "Thanks for the critiques" or around here "thanks for the crits" (crit for short)

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 10 17-10-2003 , 04:23 PM
I didnt think I was too harsh and I also put at the bottom of the post that they shouldnt take my comments too personally. I just get fed up with people (not necessaryily here but I have seen it) being just too nice. I really wish someone had made me look at finer details when I was starting out. user added image I know my tips were for someone with a bit more experience but if powernemo now goes out and looks for ways to do these things then he has achieved something and learnt something new... isnt that the real point? user added image

Anyways no point in getting everyone riled up so if I was too harsh I'm sorry i just wanted to be constructive user added image
user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 17-10-2003 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
I thought they were good and useful criticisms Pure, you are always welcome to say things like that about my stuff - your comments on my cave challenge really helped, so keep it up I say. I think if good people give constructive crits we will all improve.

Nice first monster and welcome to SM powernemo, this is a really great place to share and improve your stuff imho.

# 12 18-10-2003 , 07:12 AM
thnx withchy,
il'do my best!!!

# 13 18-10-2003 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
Anyways no point in getting everyone riled up so if I was too harsh I'm sorry i just wanted to be constructive user added image

It's all cool. If no one was constructive then there'd be no point to this site user added image .

# 14 19-10-2003 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
Hey, Someone's calendar is a little wrong! Check out the dates on the "moved" notice in the members lounge:

Attached Images