Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-11-2005 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

Napalm Effect

I am trying to make a Napalm effect with the huge billowing black clouds of smoke, but the catch is my producer does not want to spend the money to get Maya unlimited for fluids. What I have done as a temporary solutions is to take some pngs and put them on planes and then has smoke emit from the surface. This got me through the first run, but they want all the smoke moving. So if some one could help me out with setting up a dynamic sim that would be great. I am going to put a quick render of my file up with out the smoke so you guys can get the idea. Oh I am also exploring paint effects with the smoke animited brush to see if I can fib it.

user added image

kyp

# 2 02-11-2005 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
as a stand in smoke you can use particles and color the particlecloud shader...

the trick is how much particles you need and tweaking the fields that you use to make your smoke roll.... for this its a combination of using your turbulence, volume axis(or uniform) and maybe a little bit of a radial field.... its all trial and error basically when it comes to tweaking them....

You'll probably have to use a few particle systems to get this look also, without fluids you can get close to what fluids can produce...