Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-03-2012 , 12:26 AM

Cartoon Teddy Bear Scene

Hey is a scene I am working on. I'm aiming for a cartoon style and i want to emphasize alot on the window and the light. I am planning on making a grassy scene outside of the window. I am trying to add as much details as possible but I don't know what else to do so that it still maintains the cartoon style. also the wallpaper looks very blurry and i'm not sure why.
user added image

# 2 18-04-2012 , 10:51 PM

Hey is a scene I am working on. I'm aiming for a cartoon style and i want to emphasize alot on the window and the light. I am planning on making a grassy scene outside of the window. I am trying to add as much details as possible but I don't know what else to do so that it still maintains the cartoon style. also the wallpaper looks very blurry and i'm not sure why.

I reckon you first need to stylize the window. I would go with something minimal for the wallpaper- not sure why its blurred. there could be many reasons why. your best bet is to start from scratch with the material. reapply planar mapping and then a simple shader-lambert with your texture. I always find breaking things down to the 'bear' essentials helps with problem solving in maya.

is that the sun at the bottom? if so it should be high in the sky. also big spec highlights in bears eyes.

oh also depending on your framing. A lamp shade or a clock are classics.. or cliches depending on how you look at them

these would be my uneducated creative opinions so feel free to take them or leave them
good luck
Connie

# 3 19-04-2012 , 04:06 AM
Hello,eneuman,nice to see your work here.But I think you need keep doing it to make it better,as the look of you image seems a little strange now.
For example,I think the sofa is too big,this will make the bear become smaller.And you can change a wallpaper which is now doesn't fit this cute scene.Maybe add some textures will make this work better.
Good luck!

# 4 19-04-2012 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
I like it, it has very peaceful feel to it.

I agree with oxygenfish, the proportions seem off, but i'd just make the bear bigger instead.

I wouldn't necessary add anything to the scene you want to keep it simple not clustered. Play with the composition instead. This is very objective so play with it till it looks good to you.. I'd move the window to the left so it's not in the centre, move the sofa and bear a bit up and left and also closer to window so that we don't see the floor at all. You're almost there though, look up 'rule of thirds' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

If you want cartoonish look you can get it by making things imperfect/skewed (the sides of the window woudn't be parallel to each other, you'd want to avoid 90 angles etc.) and by exaggerating proportions (eg. by making the bear way bigger). You can either use deformers to 'mess up the window' or you can achieve similar effect by just rotating it a few degree so it's not parallel to the floor.

btw. the bear is too dark (at least on my monitors)

Good job though and nice color choice

# 5 19-04-2012 , 03:46 PM
EduSciVis-er

This is very objective so play with it till it looks good to you..

You mean subjective... /grammar nazi

I think it looks good too. I know you said you want the window to be the focus, but I would think the bear should be one of the focal points too. That being said, you need perhaps a fill light to brighten up the bear so your eye is more inclined to visit it. Right now the light through the window is very dominant.

# 6 22-04-2012 , 10:38 PM
thank you very much for all your advice. i will come up with an improved render shortly. thanks!
Edward

# 7 23-04-2012 , 07:23 AM
The Nurb Herd
What camera are you using?

# 8 24-04-2012 , 02:12 AM
normal perspective camera