Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-05-2020 , 05:41 AM

Can' detach faces from the cylinder face

Hello,
i have the following problem. I tried this Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

At 1:29 i shall select the bottom part of the face(i was in face mode and like in this tutorial 4 of the 8 faces were selected), then select Edit Mesh->Detach und move them out. But when i try this, the whole Object moves.

Please need help. Searched the net yesterday for about 2 hours to fix it but nothing worked...

Thx

# 2 11-05-2020 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
Hi there.

I have tried this in 3 different versons of Maya and everytime it works fine (2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020).

I select the faces for one half, "Edit Mesh->Detach" and then move the faces. Now my lines(Edges) for the object are blue and the faces grey and selected faves are redish in color. If the lines are green and you have all grey faces you have the whole object selected.

If you are still having trouble you could try
1) "Edit Mesh->Extract" - Now this will seperate the object into 2 parts.
2) You can then move the one half to were you need
3) Now select both parts and then go "Mesh->Combine" . This will mean the "Bridge" will now work as its one object again.

I hope that helps - No idea why its not working for you.
There is always the good old fix for many Maya problems of deleting the Maya folder within "My Doc`s" when Maya is close. These will be restored when restarting Maya, resetting all your settings to defualt.

Neil

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-05-2020 at 10:58 PM.