Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-07-2013 , 12:54 AM
Lifetime Member

Split Polygon Tool Problem

Hi all,

I've done a search on the forums but can't find any posts that are the same issue as mine (plenty of problems with this tool though).

Basically, I'm trying to split my aliens head at different sections as per the video of Jays and it has all been going really good until the split polygon tool now refuses to show me a vert at each of my points where I'm inserting the loop. It's making it really difficult to model.user added image

I've checked that I have no extra geometry, everything is merged that should be and my normals are all facing the same way. I've even tried deleting and re-installing my tool shortcut, shutting down Maya, even shutting down my computer but nothing helps!

What's even stranger is that it works properly on the eye!

What's going on?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-07-2013 , 03:18 AM
Having Fun!!!!
Are you talking about split polygon or edge loop tool?? cause you said that your trying to insert a loop. If you want to use the Edge loop tool and its not showing the edge it means that you have Ngons (faces with more than 4 sides) for example there is an Ngon on the cheek.

Last edited by Juanpax; 02-07-2013 at 03:26 AM.
# 3 02-07-2013 , 03:33 AM
Lifetime Member
My fault. I'm trying to insert a manual "loop" using the split polygon tool and clicking on each edge as I go around the mouth. Insert edge loop won't work for this because, as you pointed out, I have a few Ngons at the moment and it will try to go around to the back of the head anyway.

I can do it blind but it is very frustrating.

# 4 02-07-2013 , 03:38 AM
Having Fun!!!!
What version of maya are you using?

# 5 02-07-2013 , 04:03 AM
Lifetime Member
Maya 2012 Student Version. I've used split polygon heaps of times and never had this problem before until now.

# 6 02-07-2013 , 08:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Guess what? The problem fixed itself. When I reattached the head to the neck the split polygon tool worked properly again. Not sure why it mucked around when I detached the head though? Doesn't seem to make sense.