Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-09-2013 , 10:21 PM

Prop: holster_gun Rigging Question

Hello,

I am rigging a character for class, the rig is complete and bound, works great but the character has several props that are included and I would like to learn how to rig them properly. The model includes a western style holster, belt and revolver.

The gun is rather on the large side for the characters size and the holster and belt hangs on his waist. The holster and belt are separate pieces. Right now I simply have the holster and belt parent constrained to the hip joint and the gun is also in the holster and parented to the hip joint when the space switching constraint is turned on, I have several constraints on the guns control so he can hold it and stuff. My problem is when I rotate the hips the gun, belt and holster penetrate the leg and hip area and the same when I raise the leg, it penetrates the holster.

I am looking for a solution that allows the holster and belt to be rotated to the side while still following the hips and have the gun stay in the holster. Should I smooth bind the belt and copy the weights from the hip as its a single piece and hang the holster off it using a rivet system? any and all ideas welcome.

Thank you,
JCordeiro