Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-12-2004 , 05:05 PM

modeling

What's the easiest way to model for a beginner? Should I start with a cube?

Ryan
# 2 19-12-2004 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
I posted something similar here a while back, and got some great responses.

I think it is mostly down to personnal pref as to what object you start with, but it should always be roughly the shape of the item your trying to build, a NURBS clynider for a torso, or a poly square for a tank (for example).

The one thing I have learnt, and found the most important is always always use ref images.

No matter how good the idea is in your head, it is 20 times easier to follow a rough pencil sketch. It gives far better results, which in turn inspires you to power through work for longer, and makes the hours thinking a way around a problem far nicer.

Having something, even the most simplistic item, looking like what the sketch I made/used gives me a huge boost (as a newbie finding my way)

Hope all that made sense and helps, good luck!

Azi

::edit::

And of course SM has great video tutorials, get some points, pick something that catches your eye and give it a go, as they will always give you some great tips on Maya, and ideas for future projects.