Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-12-2006 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber

polygon extrude face/edge tool ... wierd

hey guys... ived been using maya abit over a year now and i dont know if its my maya or it happends to everyone else ... well it Sirtenly doesnt happen in the maya tutorials which i watch.

well the problem here is that when i use the "extrude face or edge" tool, i always seem to get an extra vertex at the end if you get what i mean. is this ment to happen in maya or is there a setting in my polygon options which is on default or something?
when i move the middle vertex, there seems to be another one behind it.

heres a picture ...
i always get this but i just have to merge all the vertex's up but it takes too long when im doing a mouth and that when theres soo many..
(sorry about the image size)
user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 12-12-2006 at 02:10 PM.
# 2 12-12-2006 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
Weird...

You could always set the tolerance really low, like 0.001 or less and then just select all of the vertices in the area or even object! and hit merge. Since the verts are ontop of one another a tiny value will only merge the problem ones. I do it all the time to join two mirrored parts together. Lightning quick and works fine with the tolerance small enough (but not too small)

Had the same thing happen to me once, but can't for the life of me remember what the setting was that controlled it, having no need for maya to perform like this myself.

I though it was the keep faces together thing when I read your post, though I can't replicate it now, hmmm.

Somebody smart will know, but till then this'll save you some time.

Simon

# 3 12-12-2006 , 08:46 PM
Senior Software Developer
From your Image part 2 worries me, but also explains the problem.

You are doing the extrude face operation but you are extruding only one face, but you have the entire geometry selected. This will give you extra geometry called non-planer, this is a bad thing.

When doing an extrude you need only do it on the face that requires the extrusion. (in your case he right hand face on the cube).

So:

Select the Poly Cube
Right Click and select Faces (to go into Component mode)
Click on the little square of the face you want to extrude
Choose Edit Polygons > Extrude Face Click Apply
Use the Manipulator to pull out the face to where you want it.
Right Click On the object and choose Object (to go to Object/Standard Mode)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 12-12-2006 , 08:47 PM
well something strange that i notice is that in image 2 when you're extruding, the edges of the cube that are not involved seem to also have faces... which isn't right. not counting the new extruded part, you've got 9 faces showing on your cube(or at least 9 face selection handles), when there should only be 6 faces total in the whole cube... it makes me think that the reason there's extra verts is because it's extruding not only the 4 faces you think you're extruding, but also an additional 4 faces that should never have been there to begin with.

enhzflep's got the right solution, although i don't think i'd have my tolerance set so low... even a value like .05-.1 is usually sufficient without grabbing verts you don't want to be merged, but then again seeing how your cube is only 1X1X1 that's not a lot of space to move around anyway... so maybe a .01 would suffice for your case - but i think the important question would be, 'why are there so many faces on that poly object to begin with?'

edit: and after posting, i saw that ransid's (quicker?) post answered my question.

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 12-12-2006 at 08:50 PM.
# 5 12-12-2006 , 09:18 PM
Wow, that is strange. I've never seen anything like that. And I don't think there is a setting in Maya to do that, as it wouldn't make sense. But, you never know.

I can't offer an answer, but I can offer a couple suggestions.

First off, looking at your picture, it looks as though you have extruded that face twice. If you look at picture 2, you can see that there is that there is extra set of faces on all visible sides of the cube. That is pretty strange. That happens every time you use the tool? If so, that may be a setting. What version of Maya are you using?

Second, are you selecting the extrude face/edge tool from the toolbar, or from the dropdown menu? Whichever one you're using, try the other one. I doubt this well help, but you never know.

Hope you can get this worked out!

EDIT: I just saw R@nSiD's and NeoStrider's posts with the answer. I guess I've got to type faster:p

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 6 12-12-2006 , 09:23 PM
Senior Software Developer
LOL...

Yeah I win :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 12-12-2006 , 09:46 PM
lol

What's the prize?!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 8 12-12-2006 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
hey guys, thanks for the feedback and comments... i figured out why this is happening. at last... instead of doing the method R@nSiD said which was the right way and which was this,

Select the Poly Cube
Right Click and select Faces (to go into Component mode)
Click on the little square of the face you want to extrude
Choose Edit Polygons > Extrude Face Click Apply
Use the Manipulator to pull out the face to where you want it.
Right Click On the object and choose Object (to go to Object/Standard Mode)

i did this method which was stupid of me :headbang: and explains and anwsers neostrider's and erictacti's question about why there was more faces. This was my way,

Select the Poly Cube
Extrude the cube.
Select the face which needed to be extruded.
Use the manipulator to pull out the face to where i wanted it to be.
Hit f8 twice to get out of component mode.

i cant believe i was soo silly to extrude the whole cube lol...
well my mistake guys, sorry for wasting your time ...

thanks again to enhzflep, R@nSiD, Neostrider and erictacti.
(erictacti: Hope you can get this worked out!, WOO worked it out)

cheers guys, marlon ...

# 9 12-12-2006 , 10:13 PM
No problem. Glad it worked out for you!

EDIT: Even though I didn't really help out:p

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 10 12-12-2006 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by erictacti
Even though I didn't really help out:p

haha its okay ... your support helped out lol user added image

# 11 13-12-2006 , 12:32 AM