Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 03-11-2010 , 10:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Are you going for texture on this mate??? or greyscale?

Looks good.....details are brilliant.....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 32 03-11-2010 , 02:02 PM
Yeah I want to texure it. I would like to go with the white, orange and black paint scheme.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 33 03-11-2010 , 05:16 PM
Subscriber
When you texture do you ;pan to have it weathered and worn?...scratched and scuffed. ect?...or painted as if brand new?...
Looking good still on the modeling, cant really see anything to criticize on it mate.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 34 04-11-2010 , 05:38 AM
Slow day today.

Update:

- Lower barrel is pretty much done
- Did a little work on the back of the stock

user added imageuser added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 35 04-11-2010 , 05:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Like this Rick??these colours? they look nice

cheers bullet

Attached Images

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 36 04-11-2010 , 11:52 AM
The Nurb Herd

# 37 04-11-2010 , 01:12 PM
bullet: That is one of the reference images I posted at the start of this project. Check back on page 1. But yes that is the paint scheme I am planing on.

hammer: yes, I mentioned at the start that a tutorial for the arc gun exsisted some place, but I only saw a picture of the finished work (not as large as the one in the link you provided though).

This is my own version. I don't have the tutorial. You can see comparing the two mine is very different and significantly more accurate.

My model is based on the drawing (see starting ref images posted at the start) and has a number of differences from the one modeled in the tut.

Thanks for the references but I just want to be clear, I do not own nor have I ever seen that tutorial. This model is completely my own design using my own modeling methods, and is not associated with the version in that tutorial in anyway.

Last edited by ctbram; 04-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.
# 38 04-11-2010 , 01:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha, i wasn't suggesting it was. thought i would just post it. sorry for the confusion.

# 39 04-11-2010 , 06:08 PM
update:

- worked on the bottom can/bottle thingy
- the release mechanism
- misc googaws

user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

hammer: no worries. I just did not want others to think I only get my inspiration from tutorials. The modeling in my version goes far beyond what I can see in the screen shot from the tutorial. It looks okay but I wanted to do something with more detail like a hero class model.

Last edited by ctbram; 04-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.
# 40 04-11-2010 , 09:59 PM
I misread the reference images in a couple places. I was going through them again looking for details for the box in the center of the stock frame and I noticed there is actually a tube that runs from the last set of electrode thingies to the main part of the barrel.

I already added a detail there that I made up because I did not realize it was this tube. Since I already modeled a clamp at the part of the barrel where the tube would go I routed it it up and into the top of what I call the carburetor box.

Let me know if it looks okay. I also noticed that the bracket and handle are actually different. I was missing a lot of reference detail in the z direction. In the prop the entire bracket narrows in so the handle is narrower.

I noticed the width did not look right so I narrowed the handle section until the proportions looked better. My version has a slightly wider handle as a result but it still looks okay, so I plan to stick with it since rebuilding would wreck a ton of work I did on the rear grip pieces.

Proportionally, I think things are looking okay. Let me know what you think?

user added imageuser added imageuser added image

PS - This is a good reason I normally advocate blocking the ENTIRE model out, then go back and add details in stages. But I was obsessed with seeing the high quality detailed portion of the pine cone barrel and after that just kept focusing on each part the same way. Oh well, relearned an old lesson.

# 41 04-11-2010 , 10:29 PM
No one has asked but just in case you were curious here is a wire...

user added image

... and smoothed...

user added image

The model is all quads except for a couple planar faces that I still have to dice up. I save that step for last just before I do the uv layouts.

This gun will not deform and so technically the planar ngons are fine; however, I know it causes several people here severe anal anguish to see ngons, so never fear they will be addressed in the end.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.
# 42 05-11-2010 , 12:56 PM
That tube I added was looking a little to thin and wispy and was not catching the light very well. However, the diameter at one end was very restricted, so my solution was to make the tube a kind of corrugated flexible tube.

I think this has better proportions and will be more visible in the final render.

# 43 05-11-2010 , 10:11 PM
Lifetime Member
That is looking super...as ususal from you Rick. Sorry yes I should have gone back to page 1 but I havent had much of a life lately due to work...so I have fallen into a trap of Google and post LOL...apologies.

hmmmmmmmmm ngons eh....bahahah I have several laying around...they dont eat much so I leave them alone...LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 44 05-11-2010 , 11:16 PM
Running out of easy bits to do ...

Update:

- Worked on the upper back can/bottle shaped thingy. Cutting the slots was tricky. I had to take a couple shots at it to get it right.

user added image

Some full shots. I think the proportions are looking okay.

I have been trying to stick to the drawings and the prop images as much as possible. What do you guys think of the changes I have made? I hope they are adding to the visual appeal of the gun.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2010 at 11:40 PM.
# 45 06-11-2010 , 12:43 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice. Some sexy details there.

Looks very clean too.

All the little details you have added really give the eyes some nice places to bounce around.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"